1. Default Leaving in two days - Travelling the west coast

This is my first post as I've recently discovered this website, I've already read a lot on people's experiences and it's been very valuable so far.

My girlfriend have rented a Wicked Campers Van for 14 days from august 2nd to august 16. We will start in Vancouver and finish in Sacramento where we will drop off the van and take a bus to San Francisco. We will finally take a flight back to Montreal a few days later.

We have planned to make stops in Seatle, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Redwood and improvise along the way. I am also looking for the most scenic roads possible. We are not in a hurry to get to Sacramento so detours are not a problem.

I was wondering if you people had any other recommendations as far as that trip goes, we are trying to keep it under 2k each, the Van already cost us 1K each so that leaves us about 1k for 14 days of travelling. Our expenses will be gas, food and money for showers/attractions, etc.

Also does anyone have experience with renting a Wicked Campers van from Vancouver and dropping it off in Sacramento?

Thanks already!

Joplin MO

Interesting - haven't heard of any company who would rent a van for dropoff across the border, but I see that this company does exactly that, ONLY from Vancouver to Sac. Nice find!

Don't forget campground fees - you can't pull a vehicle off the road just anywhere and park it for the night. You could probably do it in a truck stop or a Walmart lot for the night if you had to, always ask permission. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and look for campgrounds that have shower blocks.

Plan on about 20 to 25 cents a mile for gas. Food will cost the same as it does in Canada.

3. Default

Hehe I didn't know that about the dropoff thing. As far as campgrounds go, couldn't I just park my RV on a street in a suburbs just like a normal car? I know about the wallmarts, is there other places like that, that offer free campgrounds?

Joplin MO

With all the graphics on the van, it will stand out like a sore thumb. Not advisable just to park it on a street in an unfamiliar area, there are usually ordinances that prohibit "living" in a parked vehicle on a public street. 24 hour truck stops are your best free bet.