Default East Coast Road Trip Advice...

Newbie to the site here...

Basically my girlfriend & I will be flying into NYC on 21st September and need to be in Orlando by midday on 2nd October to surprise my brother, sister-in-law & two nephews.

21-25th - Have booked accommodation for the first 4nts in NYC. Then have a week to make our way down to Florida.
    25-26th - Thinking of getting the train to Philadelphia (Just over an hour and around $70 for us both) and spending a night there (have always wanted to do a 'Rocky' and run up the steps...Haha!!).
    From the 26 Sept until 2nd October hiring a car...The only stop I know I want to make between Philli & Orlando is Memphis (bit of an Elvis fan and have always wanted to visit Graceland).

Just wondered if you guys & girls could give any advice on things / places to see & not miss on route that we could easily do. We're both keen photographers so any stunning landscapes we shouldn't miss on route?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Any tips on car hire and best companies to use / avoid greatly appreciated too. One-way fees are being quoted around the $300 mark!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Philly to Orlando via Memphis

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Going via Memphis is quit a bit out of the norm, but with 6 full days, you have plenty of time. So some routes and activities you'll want to be looking at include an early start out of Philly so that you beat the morning rush and can at least visit a couple of the major monuments and government buildings along the National Mall in Washington and still get out of town before 3:30. Then head out I-66 to Front Royal and I-81 down the Shenandoah Valley. Try to drive at least some portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs along the mountain crests parallel to the valley.

Take the slight detour in eastern Tennessee to seeGreat Smoky Mountain National Park before crossing the state on I-40 to Memphis. From there, be sure to take US-78 to Tupelo and Elvis' other home of note. Then from Birmingham, you can use US-280 to Camp Hill and AL-50/GA-18 east to an historic area of Georgia including FDR's Little White House and Andersonville before finishing up with a visit to Okefenokee Swamp on your way to Orlando.