Default Montana to Calgary AB Canada through Glacier National Park....

my plan is to go thru the park via Going To The Sun Road into CA. Any hiccups I should expect? I'm a little nervous. The trip is in August.

Welcome to the RTA forum!

What sort of hiccups are you concerned and/or nervous about? You didn't really give us much to work with.

I will remind you that a passport will be required for crossing the border...

Thanks for the welcome! I *think* I have everything covered...but I haven't talked to anyone that has actually done this drive. Things that make me nervous...the road being closed, the lack of guard rails. How narrow is the road actually? Someone (who hasn't been there) said they'd heard that the altitude can have an affect on drivers....I am the only adult on this trip. I guess I'm hoping to hear other peoples first hand experiences. I think it's mostly a bit of pre-trip jitters, lol!

The Sun Road is in the middle of a 5 year rehab project. It's open 7am to 9pm during the week and 24 hours on weekends. Expect some single lane traffic with up to 40 minute delays even when the road is open.

Considering the park uses shuttle buses on it, you should have no real concerns with a car, van, or SUV. Recommended maximum vehicle length is 21 feet, maximum width 8 feet, maximum height 10 feet. Maximum elevation is 6646 feet.

GTSR FAQ's

Thanks GLC, not sure how I missed those FAQ's!!

Anyone have any comments on anything I should expect while driving in Canada? We'll be driving from Calgary to Revelstoke to Vancouver and then back into WA. I know it's a bit vague but any info is welcomed!!

Don't speed, and the speed limits are posted in km/hr. Does your speedometer have a dual scale? If not, 1 mph = 1.6 kph.

Gasoline is close to $4 a gallon. It's priced in liters.

Check border wait times at Blaine on the way back - the main crossing on Highway 99 to I-5 (Peace Arch) can be severely backed up and the truck crossing just a bit east on Highway 15 to 543 (Pacific Highway) may save you time.