1. Default Omaha, NE to Las Cruces, NM

We are planning to drive to Las Cruces mid October - Google and Mapquest gave us two very different options. We can go through Colorado via I-80 and I-25 then down to LC. Or, we can go through Kansas via Hwy 81 and US Hwy 54 or 56 on to LC. The drive time is about the same and mileage is pretty close too. The Colorado route is nearly all interstate, Kansas is a lot of 4 and 2 lane highways with some interstate. Any tips or ideas? Thanks.

Welcome!

The fastest route is I-80/I-76/I-25. This can just barely be done in 2 days with an overnight in Colorado Springs. If the mileage is close to the same, Interstate highways will always be faster due to the higher speed limits and no towns to have to slow down for.

However, are you wanting to get more out of this trip other than to just "get there" as quickly as possible?

3. Default

We're not really planning to sight-see. We aren't even sure if we're going to stop overnight, we drive straight through, so faster would be better.

Please don't consider driving this distance straight through, doing so would be extremely reckless and you'd be a huge danger to everyone else on the road.

Even with multiple drivers you can't safely travel 1200 miles (22 hours) without stopping for real sleep. Trying to do so would make you every bit as dangerous as someone who is driving drunk.

If you don't want to sightsee, take the Interstates, and please heed Michael's advice. Your halfway point for an overnight is Colorado Springs, please do it. There's a Super 8 at exit 146, I've stayed there - it's cheap, but old and a bit run down - acceptable but not much more. There is a considerable savings booking ahead on line.