Thread: Trip

Default Trip

I plan on traveling through America next year sometime and I plan on doing it for about 2 months but I have no idea where to start, Where to go and other stuff. Im currently getting the money together so Im trying to get my whole trip planned out..Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mark!

Will also be public transport as I dont drive yet..

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There certainly isn't room in a single forum response to give you all the information you need to plan a 2 month roadtrip, but this site is filled information and ideas to help you get started. I'd recommend starting simply looking around the forum, as well as the planning pages and articles throughout this website. That really should give you the tools to at least get started.

You should know that public transportation in the US is fairly limited. Getting between major cities is easy, but getting around inside of them can be a bit of a challenge depending upon the city, and many rural areas including most national parks simply aren't served by bus or rail lines. Amtrak and I believe Greyhound (the major city to city bus service) both have "unlimited ride" options where you pay one rate for an entire month no matter where you go. But that will have to be a big part of your research.

Public transportation just isn't set up for touring the US except to get from major city to major city. Perhaps you could delay your trip until you do have a driver's license and can rent a car.

5. Default

Public transit really is not a viable option for "road tripping" across the country. Most people who live here don't like taking public transportation on very small trips let alone relying on it for a 2month vacation! You would waste so much time using it and I don't know exactly how you would even plan it out and get to hotels, attractions, restaurants, etc. I would say wait until you can drive.

Well I could get a driving licence before I go.. Thinking about its a better idea to so, Would it be cheaper to rent or buy? Seeing as i'll be traveling between 6-8 weeks?

A non-resident cannot buy and register a car here without a physical US address, which you can't have without a long term visa (student or business) - so renting is your only option. If you are under 25, it will be quite expensive, and if you are under 21, it will not be possible.

By the time the trip comes around i'll be 26

Default Go get it !

A car rental is definitely the way to go if you can make it happen. A driving licence, as you know, is an asset in itself and if this trip encourages you to get on and get one, it's an added bonus !

Although you will be 26 you will have to check the small print as I think [?] some [if not all] have a "new driver" clause that could carry extra fee's with it. Again, I am not sure but it refers to people who have been driving for less than a year, so the answer is to go get it !