1. Default Father/son trip from washington to arizona in 3 days!

My son and I are flying to Seattle, picking up a friends car and then driving home to Arizona. Any advice on best routes, places to see or fun things to do along the way would be appreciated. So far, we are flying into Seattle, checking out the space needle and then heading to Portland to VooDoo Donuts. Next, we are driving to Mt. Shasta and then heading home. If you have driven this route before any advice would be great. Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I've driven similar routes, many, many times

Well, three days could be pretty cool... I don't know where you're going in Arizona, but let's choose Phoenix -- The most direct route is about 1500 miles or 500 miles per day which is about 8-10 hours of driving. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Five days would give you give all sorts of possibilities -- but what kinds of things, places, events intrigue you?

3. Default

Five Days would be awesome but we can't swing it with work. We are just looking to do some light sight-seeing similar to seeing the Space Needle.

New York and/or Los Angeles

Default Route

Option 1 - From Portland you could head to the coast and drive along the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) for a bit. I would come inland though and head to the Redwood National Forest. Around there you could visit the Drive Thru Tree, your son would probably love to see (and drive thru) that. You could then hit up San Fran, Yosemite, Death Valley, The Hover Dam, the Grand Canyon, and head home.

Option 2 - You could head to the Great Basin in Nevada, and into Utah. Utah has some gorgeous scenery. (Bryce Canyon, Zion Forest, Arches, etc.) This route will be more scenic, I think your son might be more entertained by Option 1.

Good luck and have fun!

Joplin MO

With 1500 miles to cover and only 3 days to do it, you don't have the time to get much off the Interstates, unfortunately.

South of England.

Default Some spots on the way.

Yes you will be restricted with only 3 day's to play with, but from Portland US 26 and 97 would get you off Interstate and past Crater Lake to Klamath Falls. You could then pick up US 89 at Mt Shasta, passing Lassen Volcanic park to Susanville to the 395 through Carson, Mono lake and Lone Pine etc and possibly a drive across Death valley. It would be a lot of driving and not much time to hang around anywhere but in my book it beats trundling down Interstate.

7. Default

Thanks for the suggestions.