1. Default New Jersey shore to Atlanta, GA: any route suggestions?

I'm traveling to go to college and I'm planning on making it a non-stop trip in one day. What would be the best way to go?

Sorry, that's 850 miles (assuming "shore" is Long Branch) and it's not safely doable solo in one day. That's at least 16 hours on the road.

In my opinion, the "best" way is take the PA Turnpike out to Carlisle, then I-81 to I-77 to I-85. This is 50 miles longer than going down I-95 to I-85, but it bypasses all the congestion from NJ all the way to Richmond. There's a Motel 6 in Statesville NC, and rooms start at $40.

Default I concur

I've got a few crazy road trip miles under my seat, so to speak, having driven coast to coast twice with out a time-out in a motel but that's just too far to drive in a day safely. But welcome to the forum and I hope we can convince you to make it a two-day road trip.

Mark

2 days is best.

If you want to see a different area you could go down 81 all the way to Chattanooga, TN and then south on 75. Another route could be down 81 and to I-26 through the Smokey Mountains. From there you can go down US 23 through a couple national forests before meeting up with I-85.

But the quickest route is glc's, considering that route will bypass the traffic in Philly, Baltimore, and D.C.

5. Default

If i take that way, PA turnpike to I-81 to I-77 to I-85, i won't be driving through the middle of nowhere, will I? I'm a girl traveling alone, so I want to make sure that there are rest stops and gas stations that aren't dangerous to be at by myself

They are all Interstate highways and are as safe as any. I would feel safer on those than I would in big cities.

Where exactly on the Shore are you leaving from? With that info, I can refine the route a bit.

7. Default

I live in Point Pleasant, just a little bit south of Long Branch

Very familiar - I grew up in Red Bank and my grandmother lived in Mantoloking.

You would want to take I-195 to the NJ Turnpike to the PA Turnpike. How to get to 195 depends on exactly where you are - you could take 35 to 34, or Burnt Tavern Rd to the GSP. If you have an EZ-Pass, bring it.