Default moving to des moines

I'm moving to Des Moines from San Diego. I've new to all this, been a SD native my whole life. Could I make the trip in 2 days? I can drive 10hrs the 1st & 2nd days. Does anyone know where good, safe resting points would be?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

We generally recommend 500-550 miles per day as the upper limit. Your trip would be around 1800 miles, so even in three days, it would be a stretch. Will you be doing this trip in your own vehicle? In a moving van? Have you been on road trips of this distance before? Is there an imperative that this trip be made in two days (and if that's the case, then the question is moot)?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default 3, minimum

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sorry, but there is no way to safely make the 1800 mile trip from San Diego to Des Moines in 2 days.

The bare minimum would be 3, and that would be 3 very full days where you'd be on the road for at least 10 to 12 hours a day, with really no time to make any more than just the essential stops.

The logical overnight stopping points would be Richfield Utah and Sterling Colorado.

Joplin MO

I hate to sound like a broken record, but no, you should not try to drive it in 2 days unless you have 2 more drivers (total 3) and use "speed run" procedures. This is 1750 miles, and I don't care what mapping programs say, you will be on the road for a total of at least 32 hours. 16 hours a day solo is suicide.

I live in Joplin MO and drive to San Diego at least once a year. This drive is about 200 miles shorter than what you are planning, and there's no way I'd try to do it in 2 days. I looked at it, and it just isn't safe.

Fastest way is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80. Overnights as indicated by Michael.

Now - if at all possible, why not allow about a week or more to make the trip? This would allow you do some great sightseeing. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon, any of the southern Utah parks, or up in the Rockies, this is a great opportunity to do it.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm the only driver and this will be the first time driving this distance by myself. I'm a little bit nervous but excited as well. I've never been over the Rockies or even seen any part of the Midwest.