1. Default Advice- Boston to Cooperstown to Niagra Falls

We live in Boston and would like to take my son to Cooperstown and then go on to see Niagra Falls. Would love somne suggestion: Drive time? places to stay? Length of trip? Thanks!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

The total, one-way trip is about 500 miles.

How much time do you have for this trip?

It's a fairly straight shot along I-90 into NY, then I-88 until you see signs for Cooperstown. Alternatively, if you have more time, you could take US-20 from one of several points in MA and then from there head to Cooperstown.

This could be a nice 2 day trip. There are several places to stay in Cooperstown, and they don't appear to be terribly expensive. Check at hotels.com for rates and reviews.

Figure about 4 to 5 hours from Boston to Cooperstown, then another 4 to 5 from Cooperstown to Niagara Falls, taking the fastest route for both legs.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. We have never done a road trip before. We will be travelling with 2 kids. I'm wondering if 3 days 2 nights is enough.

3 days 2 nights is pushing it for a round trip but it could be done - it's about 8 hours straight back from NF to Boston on the NY Thruway and Mass Pike. This would essentially only give you 1/2 a day in Cooperstown and 1/2 a day in NF.

If you are planning on going over to the Canadian side of the falls, you and your partner will need passports and you will need the kids' birth certificates.

6. Default

Definately go over to Canadian side. You will need more time. Cooperstown is great. I suggest HOWE Caverns if you have kids, cooperstown is a little dry for young ones.

Default Insider tips for low-cost Nigara Falls

I would suggest you look at Harry Kline's article about visiting Niagara Falls -- He likes to find the best value for all of his trips.... And I think your kids would have fun too.

Mark

8. Default 1 hour past of Cooperstown on the way to Niagara- place to stay

We thought that after Cooperstown we would drive another hour or so so we would be closer the next day to Niagara. Any suggestions about family safe places to stay along the route? What city should we look in? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-26-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

There are a few hotels right off the Thruway at the Genesee St exit in Utica. Your next chance is Syracuse at the airport exit, the selection there is a lot better.