1. Default Vegas to Miami trip

Hi all!

I've been looking through this forum and there seems to be a lot of really useful feedback and help about these crazy trips across the USA and was wondering if anyone could provide us with some tips.

Basically, myself (22) and my friend (25) are planning to travel across America from Vegas to Miami in a RV for 3 weeks.

Click here to see rough journey plan

The key things for us is we really want to make sure we visit as many "key" places along the way as possible. E.g. Grand Canyon. Can anyone provide the main sites we should see on the way?

Also, as well as the big cities we really want to visit the tiny towns and meet the really traditional American country folk! Where we can stay in these towns for a couple of days and hang out with the locals. Is this the right route for this sort of trip?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-25-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added map

South of England.

Default Rental ? One way ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There really isn't a single "best route" and there are thousands of "key" places that you could visit, too many to mention in fact. What I would do is continue to look at those options and put some of your key places on the map and work a route around them, as you have plenty of time to wander if it is a one way trip. [?] I think you can find traditional folk and small towns just about anywhere so that won't be a problem. It's often these unsuspecting places you stumble across and the people you meet along the way that make the fondest memories.

As for the RV, will you be renting ? If so a couple of things you should, and might already know, is that with two of you travelling it will be a very expensive option compared to Motels and a car. The other is that if you intend to drive, the "young driver fee" could be very steep indeed, add to that a one way drop off fee [?] and it's gonna get real expensive.

Some of our best experiences in an RV have been in the National parks, and for these, great scenery and small towns I wouldn't dismiss heading into Southern Utah and possibly Colorado before dropping back South.

Keep working at it and as new questions come up, ask away !

Enjoy the planning.

Tucson, AZ

Default Well, Yes and No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is no magic route that will take you to "really traditional America". The entire country is real and each area has its own traditions. If you have a preconception of what it is you're looking for or expect, then you're going to be missing out on a lot of what makes each area unique. Just go with your eyes and heart open. The one thing I can say is that you will see none of what you seek on the Interstates which make up the bulk of your current route. You've got time to stick mainly to the older US highway system so that's what I think you should do. Most Interstates were built parallel to existing highways and those roads are still there, and still go through rather than around small towns. Use them.

As for 'key' places along the way, besides the Grand canyon, I'd be sure to stop at the Petrified Forest, Petroglyph National Monument, Cadillac Ranch, the Sixth Floor Museum, Hot Springs National Park, Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo, Selma, FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs, Andersonville, and Okefenokee Swamp for starters.