Drake1979 Guest

Default First real road trip, need help...

Im plannig a road trip for my best friend and I, who I havent really been able to spend time with over the last 8 years since he went into the navy.
    We have 7 full days in late August to go anywheres we like. Im trying to save as much money as possible without missing out on the adventure of what a road trip should be like. Ive read a little about road trips and I can see who if not planned out right. It can actually become pretty boring. I plan on saving money by camping in a tent and packing alot of food in a cooler. But, Im not really sure what would be more enjoyable.
    He lives in Jacksonville Fl, so I was thinking about just traveling the West Coast of Fl down to Miami, then back up its East coast hitting rural beaches along the way and enjoying the end of the summer.
    I as well was thinking of going up towards Colorado and and doing some hiking, boating, fishing and white water rafting, but Im not sure ho wuch a trip like that might cost, or what his buget even is at the moment.
    If anyone has any insite of where I should go it would be appreciated. Im even willing to go somewheres else. All I care is about having a bit of adventure and to bond with an old friend on the road. Like I said, this is a first so any advice, is good advice.

If you only have 7 days and would really like to experience all of those things, Colorado will not be the place for you. It will take 3 days to drive there, and 3 days to drive back, leaving only 1 day to fully explore Colorado. You'll be so tired from the first 3 days of driving you'll just want to rest.

Florida may be your best bet at this point. Perhaps you could go further up the coast through Georgia and South Carolina or the panhandle of Florida to Mobile possibly.

Do your research on the Florida trip and see if there are 6 points that you want to see (with the 7th day being the return to Jacksonville. That sounds more relaxing for you and a person that has been in the navy, and possibly traveling while in the service for so long.

He lives in Jacksonville Fl, so I was thinking about just traveling the West Coast of Fl down to Miami, then back up its East coast hitting rural beaches along the way and enjoying the end of the summer.
    That sounds like a good plan to me. You could probably add Key West to that, and if you get back to Jax with time to burn, you could head north up the coast and see some more stuff.

Drake1979 Guest

Oh wow, I didnt even think of heading to Key West. That sounds like it would be amazing.