1. Default Chicago to Maine

This is my first post!! Yay!!

My family and I would like to plan a trip during the spring sometime. We are very interested in taking a trip from Chicago to Maine. I have no idea where the good places are to stop. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Tucson, AZ

Default There's Plenty of Time to Look

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With 7-8 months before your tip, there's plenty of time to find places to stop and routes between them. With no knowledge of what you or your family would like, it's tough to recommend specific places. But that shouldn't stop you from planning. Now is the perfect time to simply daydream. First, get yourself a good atlas or road maps, available from most big box stores or discount book sellers for about $5-10. Look at what's between you and your destination in terms of states and major roads. Then start following those roads on the larger scale individual state maps. Look for parks, attractions, scenic roads and the like that appeal to you. Visit the state tourism web sites for more ideas. Talk to other members of your family. Share what you've found and ask them for their ideas. Maybe put up a wall map with stick pins and let people mark the places they'd like to see. Start connecting the dots and see where the 'road' takes you.

Joplin MO

If you think your plans may include Canada, now is the time to apply for your passports if you don't already have them.