Default Yoemite to Las Vegas via Death Valley in one day in August?

Hi,

I'm planning to drive, in one day, from Yosemite to Vegas in August and can't decide whether or not I should go via Death Valley. We are a family of four, kids are young teens and we'll be in a Dodge Charger.

Having spent what seems like hours reading the posts, I haven't found anyone who has done that. People either stop over or say give it a miss altogether in August. Am I crazy to even contemplate it? It seems like an opportunity not to be missed for the sake of a detour of a few hours, even allowing for the intense heat and the fact that I probably won't be stopping anywhere for long. Or should I just drive straight to Vegas and hope that if I ever get the chance to come back then I should stop over and spend some time there to make the most of it.

TIA for any help.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Yosemite to Vegas is going to be a long day any way you look at it, and if you can find a way to break this up, it would be recommended - especially since you'll have young teens that will be bouncing off the cars walls. You're also going to have to short change Tioga Pass at least a little bit, as your available time to stop and enjoy the scenic views will be limited.

However, if you are going to do it, you might as well drive through Death Valley. It practically is on the direct route, and any other route you take is only going to save a marginal amount of time.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!
    Thanks.

Yosemite to Vegas is going to be a long day any way you look at it, and if you can find a way to break this up, it would be recommended - especially since you'll have young teens that will be bouncing off the cars walls.
    Indeed! I take it the drive straight down the 95 is pretty boring with nothing to see on the way?

You're also going to have to short change Tioga Pass at least a little bit, as your available time to stop and enjoy the scenic views will be limited.
    Yes, I realise that. This is one of the reasons for my indecision. Sacrifice the views at Tioga for Death Valley or vice versa? Sounds like I can't enjoy both with the time I'm allowing myself.

However, if you are going to do it, you might as well drive through Death Valley. It practically is on the direct route, and any other route you take is only going to save a marginal amount of time.
    OK. Thanks for the reply.

395 is a lot more scenic than 95.

For planning purposes, you can drive from Lee Vining through Death Valley, using the locals route to Pahrump and in to LV in about 8 hours with essential stops only (fuel, bathroom). Considering you will have 14 hours of usable daylight you can do it if you don't make a lot of stops. This adds less than an hour to going out to Tonopah and down 95.

In fact, if you time this carefully so you are going "over the top" just outside LV on 160 at sunset, the view of the city all lit up is spectacular.

Default Both.

Yes, I realise that. This is one of the reasons for my indecision. Sacrifice the views at Tioga for Death Valley or vice versa? Sounds like I can't enjoy both with the time I'm allowing myself.
    As has been said, going through DV adds very little time between Yosemite and Vegas and is a full day on the road. Unless you stop overnight on route, you are going to have to sacrifice enjoying quality time at both places, but the drive is spectacular and lot's of short stops for photo op's and a short stretch will keep it from feeling like a chore.