chicago420 Guest

Default Chicago Boys driving to las vegas!

Me and my friends are all 20 and we just decided were driving to las Vegas early august. My friend has an condo in Henderson Nevada, which isn't to far from las Vegas i guess. The longest road trip i have been on is about 9 hours to overnight camp about 8 years ago. We need tips and suggestions. Were taking my friends manual acura tsx, because my jeep commander takes twice as much gas and so does my other friends wrangler. Me and my friends are a bunch of idiots so please help us.........

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Probably the biggest rookie mistake is to under budget in terms of both time and money.

Even with multiple drivers, trying to do more than about 600 miles a day of driving starts to push the limits of safety, and just as importantly, makes it real hard to have a good time. That means you're looking at a minimum of 3 days of driving, each way.

The other common mistake is to forget how much things costs. While fuel will be a significant part of your budget, you still need to factor in a reasonable sum for food, lodging, and fun.

Of course, there are a ton of things you could see between those two points, but lets start with those basics - how much time and money do you have available for this trip?

chicago420 Guest

We have time, but we are pretty serious about getting there quick. Depends if we stop because were passing something cool but idk if we will. We were planning on getting there in a day and a half. This is possible right if we leave at the right time. Hopefully we have enough money. We all know its gonna be about 100$ a person plus food and strippers liquor and cigarettes (and some other things...) So if we have 3 to 4 hundred bux a person with the gas money not included i think that will be enough. We were planning to drive until we got to my friends condo in henderson nevada. So we are planning on not paying any $ to lodge. Were also on planning on eating once a day at a cheap buffet.

Well, you've proven my point quite perfectly.

There is no way that you can safely make this trip in 1.5 days - in fact you can't physically do it because this trip will require more than 30 hours of pure on the road time. And trying to attempt such a feat would be beyond dangerous - what you'd be doing would be every bit as dangerous as driving drunk and making it there without killing yourself or others would be pure luck.

As I said, the only way to do this trip safely, without recklessly endangering your lives and the lives with whom you will be sharing the road is to plan for this trip to take 3 days - and then add more if you decide you want to see anything. Until you reconsider your first plan, there is no point of discussing anything else.

Additionally, you didn't say how long you plan to be gone, but I can tell you based on what you are saying you want out of this trip, $400 each is going to be gone in the blink of an eye.

chicago420 Guest

one of my friends who i am going with and whose condo we are staying at, his brother goes to the university of las vegas and has taken the trip many of times with one other person. he says it takes him 36 hours. Stopping at gas station for gas,bathroom and food. He said that includes one stop were he will sleep for a little bit. You just made this trip seem like the most difficult and horrific thing of all time but i think it is very possible. We would have 4 drivers who would be switching off on a safe rotation.

We dont care how long we are gone for we are crazy ninjas and when we run out of money or we get tired of las vegas we will leave. But i am also considering on driving to Mexico when we run out of money. Dont worry we all have passports.

We are definitely doing this trip. AND IT WILL BE EPIC. No lives will be lost because we are all experienced drivers considering we are Chinese and pizza delivery men.

Also I feel that 400$ will do us fine. If we need more money im sure we can get it. But we are experienced cheap bastards.

Please give me advise or ideas thank you!

Sorry, but you said yourself that you have no experience doing long distance drives - and yet you think you can declare that you can safely drive nearly 2000 miles without stopping for sleep. Delivering Pizzas a couple of hours a night is not long haul driving - and even thinking that the two are even close just shows how much of a danger you will be on the road.

I'm sure you will do this trip, and like a drunk driver might make it home on any given night without getting into a crash, you might even make it there without killing someone. But you've made it clear that you have no interest at all in caring about the safety of anyone else on the road, and as such , I just don't think we're going to be able to help you.