Default Aizona sept 2011

Hi everyone hope all is well with you guys.

I have not posted since we came back from our dream holiday in 2008 and cannot wait to get back to the USA.

We are thinking of a 2 week holiday in sept 2011, there will be 5 adults and 3 children although not sure yet about the 2 youngest who will be 4 and 2yrs.

We are hoping to land in LA so we can take the kids big and small to Universal studios and Disney from there to Vegas via Barstow for a day or so. From there to Hoover Dam and then to Oatman then to Grand Canyon, Cameron All these places we have been to on our last trip. We then wondered about going to Monument Valley then back to Flagstaff and this is the part I am not sure about. Do we backtrack to Needles and back to LA or venture More into Arizona going back to LA via Sedona, Prescott, Wickenburg and then on the 10 back to LA via Palm Springs.

Thank you

Gemsmum(Doreen)

What would the weather be like in Arizona in September and would this trip be doable in 2 weeks?

Default Something New This Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If, as you say, you've already seen Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, then there's certainly nothing wrong with visiting them again, but I would add something new for those who have already been. A plan that would take you back to Los Angeles (thus saving on airfare and car rental) could include Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Petrified Forest National Park, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix, and Joshua Tree National Park. Arizona in September can be quite nice. Monsoon season will be over, and most of the places you'll be visiting are at higher elevations anyway, so heat and humidity should not be a big problem. Too much later and the Grand Canyon will start getting quite nippy. and while you can always use more time, two weeks is enough to enjoy such a trip and spend some time at a few venues along the way.

AZBuck

Default Lot's of options.

Hi Doreen, welcome back !

You must have forgotten you posted your initial thoughts. ;-)

September is a wonderful time to travel as the crowds are easing the temps are bearable and you start to see Fall colours.

We then wondered about going to Monument Valley then back to Flagstaff and this is the part I am not sure about. Do we backtrack to Needles and back to LA or venture More into Arizona going back to LA via Sedona, Prescott, Wickenburg and then on the 10 back to LA via Palm Springs.
    All perfectly feasible, it's a case of what appeals to you the most, but I alway's prefer to see more and backtrack as little as possible. From Monument valley you could head South on 191 to Canyon De Chelley to I40 and back past the Petrified Forest. Heading through Sedona and Precott valley you could detour into Joshua tree NP.

Another option would be to head direct towards the GC and then head North to Bryce canyon and Zion NP [not sure if they were part of your last trip] and then down to Vegas and back to LA. It's certainly doable in 2 weeks, but of course it comes down to how long you want to stay in each place. Are you planning on taking an RV ?

[Basically what Buck suggested while I was distracted when replying to you.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-18-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Too slow.

Hi Southwest Dave

yes I did post another thread in june 2009 but we were then thinking of Wyoming But I want to go back to California and Arizona.
    we went to Kanab, Zion and Page last trip but didn't get up to Monument Valley. Yes we will be hiring an Rv again,the route both you and Buck suggest sounds good and are places we hadn't thought of. I will have to do a bit of research on the net into the petrified forest and Canyon de Chelley and the other places Buck suggested.
    Thanks so much it makes such a difference when you can ask advice.

Gemsmum (Doreen)