Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi Darthkroll, Welcome to the RTA forums !

Check out the first post for the route details.
    I saw the map of the route. I can't seem to fight my way through the mapping software that came with the Garmin gps I use. I was hoping/begging someone would share/sell the route already for the gps. I think it's a GPX file?

Any ideas where I can get it? Or a good starting point for me to butcher it. (I really can't figure out Mapsource)

Thanks gang

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkroll View Post
    I saw the map of the route. I can't seem to fight my way through the mapping software that came with the Garmin gps I use. I was hoping/begging someone would share/sell the route already for the gps. I think it's a GPX file?

Any ideas where I can get it? Or a good starting point for me to butcher it. (I really can't figure out Mapsource)

Thanks gang
    Hi Darthkroll
    I never use routes in my GPS. Just waypoints.
    I had 49 waypoints loaded into the GPS, one for each state. I numbered them and picked one at a time.
    Each waypoint was a gas station. All of the waypoints create the map.
    Send me your email address and I will send you the waypoints.

A short story from the trip -
    I was riding home from Alaska and had stopped for the night in Alberta, Canada.

I was talking to the owner of the motel and telling her about the trip and that I was riding home to Milwaukee.

She said "you will be crossing Saskatchewan, that's the prairie land".

She added " Saskatchewan is so flat, you can watch your dog run away for three days!"

It was flat -

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
    A short story from the trip -
    I was riding home from Alaska and had stopped for the night in Alberta, Canada.

I was talking to the owner of the motel and telling her about the trip and that I was riding home to Milwaukee.

She said "you will be crossing Saskatchewan, that's the prairie land".

She added " Saskatchewan is so flat, you can watch your dog run away for three days!"

It was flat -
    I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Saskatchewan. Hard to spell. Easy to draw."

I know this is an old thread, but what a great ride. Congratulations. I've been contemplating a similar ride and the route I have mapped out is quite similar. One question I have relates to the ability to get a time stamped receipt in Hyder. If I were to start my ride there, and wanted and early morning departure, is there a 24 hour gas station that would give me a time-stamped receipt? I'm sure a lot has changed since your ride, but if you know . . . . :) Thanks.

Default Nice find

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well done and thanks for finding this great thread from the Archives ! I am not familiar with Hyder at all, but a quick search suggests that nearby gas stations are on the Canadian side in Stewart. An early morning start would suggest you would be staying over in town, will a hotel receipt do the trick ? Maybe someone else will come along who is more familiar with the area, or Rollin himself, but his last visit to the RTA site was over a year ago.

Here is a business directory for Hyder, contact them by phone for hours.

https://www.chamberofcommerce.com/hyder-ak

Looks like there's a restaurant, general store, post office, National Forest Service office, a B&B, and a couple hotels.

Default Getting a receipt.

On one of my visits to Hyder, I went to the PO. I'm sure you'll get a receipt there. It will be open during business hours. It was May or early June, and after a severe winter, not much was open yet and certainly not at 10 in the morning. You are right, fuel is not available in Hyder. The border into the US at Hyder is an open border - no border control. However the border back into Canada has an officer on duty. This is a one person post, and if you have the time, it is interesting to have a chat with him/her. Must be lonely at that outpost, which is mostly manned by newly graduated officers.

The majority of visitors to Hyder seem to just drive straight through heading for the Salmon Glacier - not to be missed! The road to the glacier I would imagine to be a real challenge on a motorcycle. We were told at one spot to pull over and let construction trucks pass. Everyone had to stop on the edge..... not for the faint hearted. The trucks seemed to take up more than the full width of the road.

Hope you enjoy it, it is well worth it.

Lifey

I found this on the Travel Alaska website, and found it interesting:

Even though Hyder has mainland road access, the town is so isolated from the rest of Alaska its 72 residents are almost totally dependent on larger Stewart (pop. 700), just across the Canadian border. Hyder's residents use Canadian money, set their watches to Pacific Standard Time (not Alaska Standard Time), use Stewart’s area code and send their children to Canadian schools. When there’s trouble, the famed Canadian Mounties step in. All this can make a side trip here something of an international affair.

Hyder has a number of gold rush-era saloons, which are popular with visitors. The Glacier Inn is the best known and features an interior papered in signed bills, creating the “$20,000 Walls” of Hyder. Next door is First and Last Chance Saloon, and both bars are lively at night.

Donna

The bars are popular because liquor costs a lot more in Canada than the US. People come over from Stewart to drink.