1. Default winter road trip to warmer parts of States

my wife is about to embark upon a 2 year post graduate university course to enable her to qualify as an early years teacher. From now on, therefore the longest holiday available to her will be the long summer holiday which, as are Australians, is December/January. We are looking to fly into NYC, Chicago or LA. We will have 3 or 4 weeks at our disposal. Our two children are 6 and 4. I have in mind driving to the warmer parts of Florida/Texas/Arizona. If anyone has experience of successful family trips in the southern parts of the States in deep winter I would love to hear about them!

Tucson, AZ

Default Los Angeles It Is, Then

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since you'll be flying in from Australia presumably, then Los Angeles is the closest (cheapest) international airport and your other two choices would put you smack dab in the middle of some of the worst areas for winter weather and attendant flight delays. From L.A. the entire southwest lies before you. Popular winter destinations in this area include the beaches of L.A. and San Diego, the Big Sur coast, Las Vegas, Death Valley, White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Big Bend and the Gulf Coast. I think I'd skip Florida for now and concentrate on a more leisurely loop trip of the southwest beginning and ending in L.A. Basically using I-40 and I-10, one eastbound and the other westbound, Besides the destinations I've already listed, some others worth considering would be Saguaro National Park, Kartchner Caverns, the Desert Museum and the Pima Air and Space Museum, all in or near Tucson; Roswell, NM for a bit of SciFi kitsch; the Alamo and River Walk in San Antonio, TX; Santa Fe, NM and Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque; Monument Valley, Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater, all in northeastern Arizona, and the Salton Sea, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Mojave National Preserve and Joshua Tree National Park in southern California. Of course, the Grand Canyon is a must, but be forewarned that even though it is in the 'south', the South Rim sits at an elevation of 7,000 feet and it will be cold, quite possibly snowy, and possibly socked in on any given day. The North Rim will be closed. This is a great area for kids, obviously. I'll be taking my own two grandsons (6 and 10) up into the Monument Valley/Four Corners area next month and I have no doubts they'll have a great time. Just plan on at least as much time out of the car as you do driving.