1. Default California to New York - 21 days.

Myself and 5 other lads are planning a big road trip, across the US, visiting approximatly 9 states.

We will have 21 days to do this trip.

We are planning to begin our Road Trip in California, Los Angeles. We are then travelling to San Fransisco. We want to travel the coast here, and Visit places like Venice Beach, and also Palm springs. After a few days here, we want to travell across the Nevada desert (any places/roads in particular here) over to Utah and the Salk Lake Cuty. From Utah down to Arizona, visiting Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. (any other places you could recormend?).

From Arizona, we plan to go down to Texas, to either Auston, Dallas or Houston. From here we'll go past Louisinana, looking at places like New Orleans, through Alabama (we've always wanted to visit here) straight to Florida, Visiting Jacksonville, going to Orlando and finally Miami at the bottom. Any places to visit along that route, bar already mentioned? We could also see Hollywood !

From Florida, we'll travel up past Georgia, North and South Carolina into Virginia. What places could we see here? From this point we'll move upto Washington and Philidelphia in Pennsylvania, finally upto New York.

We worked this about to be roughly 6k of milage. Is this plausable? We have 3/4 drivers, which will help.

We want to spend 3/4 days in the big states - Florida, Cali and NYC. Obviously I have never done a big road trip before, and I have never been to the USA. So I am looking for some advice and pointers. Good routes and roads, good places to visit etc.

Many thanks,

Dan

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Regardless of the number of drivers you have, there will be an upper limit on the number of miles you'll be able to cover in a day; but it will certainly help to alleviate some of the stress. There are literally thousands of places to see and things to do along your route.

Get yourselves a good map of the country. These can be had at most any major store and generally are inexpensive. Even if the vehicle you are traveling in has GPS, a paper map is always a good standby.

What kind of things are you interested in? Of particular interest, what attracted you to Alabama in particular?

Default Transport.

As Tim mentioned, regardless of the number of drivers, there is only so long that 6 of you can spend couped up in a tin box all day without wanting to bite each others head's off !! With 2 people awake the other's are not going to get good sleep in a moving vehicle so you shouldn't plan on making any huge non stop journeys. 500-600 miles a day is approx 9-10 hours in the vehicle and what we generally recommend as a limit. To cover 6000 miles in that case, would be equivalent to 10-12 day's of full driving which leaves you time for wandering and sight seeing with your other day's.

You don't mention your road trip vehicle ? It's going to have to be large to carry 6 of you and all your luggage or you will have to take two vehicles. If you are renting then you need to know that for every driver under the age of 25 there will be a hefty surcharge for a "Young driver fee" and ending on the other side of the Country, a large "one way drop off fee".

If you are not adverse to camping this might be one of the rarer occasions where an RV could be more beneficial in terms of budget.

4. Default

Hello guys,

Thanks for that. We know we'll on the upper limit of travels. We were just curious as to how far !

We are actually planning to rent a Class A Lxury 38" or 40" RV for this trip. So that will eleviate most of the 'stress'. As the ones were are looking for are huge - many TV's, leather sofas, full AirCon, Microwaves, stoves etc. So we have our 'travel' sorted with this vehicle.

We are planning to share the cost equally - obviously £1,500 pounds each for, what we calculated:

RV Rental fee;
    Fuel for 5500 miles
    Preparation fees
    Additional milage fee's for RV;
    Taxes
    Insurance (inc. the annoying surcharge)

Just under $11,000 dollars. We then bring £1,500+ each to spend along the way.

We did a rough outline on Google maps - 4 days total travelling, approximatlely. I know that will be out, but will roughly 5.5k of milage rack upto 11 days? I supose if your only doing 600 miles a day max, it would?

As to our interests - for all 6 of us it varies alot, as you can imagine. But mainly, all 6 of us would like to experience America (a place none of us have been!) and visit a lot of the famous and vast places - Grand Cayon for example, NYC, Miami and Orlando studios, California's Golden Coast and Venice Beach/Santa Monica, the climates etc. Also, though Nevada we'd like get the feel for a real desert.

We would go to Las Vegas, too, but we wouldn't stop. The money spent there would be huge, That would be a seperate holiday for us !

Default Mapping programs and human needs.

Google, and all other mapping programs are well off with there driving times and should be taken with a pinch of salt. They are machines and unlike us don't have to stop for food, sleep or bathroom breaks and think they can stick close to the speed limit without any traffic congestion or construction delays, and TBH, on long haul, multi day trips are not worth the paper they are written on. The Maths will tell you that they expect you to drive non stop for 4 days, 24 hours a day at just under 60 mph, it is so ludicrous it is almost funny ! Lol.

When you are on Interstate and main highways it would be possible to cover 500 miles in a day, but that is still going to be tough going in an enormous RV. Once you get off these roads your averages are going to drop dramatically, but you will be experiencing America on the move. So I wouldn't expect to cover huge mileages in one shot but to move around steadily and take your time to explore what is between "A" and "B." For instance, if you take the coastal route between SF and LA it will be a minimum of 2 days driving, and 3 if you really want to start enjoying it, on I5 you could do it in a long day. Travelling around the National parks and through Deserts will have the same effect and while on the subject, for a Desert experience, Death Valley outside of Vegas and Monument valley from the Grand canyon are 2 of the best. On the way through Utah you will be close to two of the best National parks in the area, Zion and Bryce Canyon. Vegas does not have to be expensive, you can walk in and out of the Lobby's for free [they are no ordinary lobbies ;-) ] and the street shows are amazing and also free. To be honest I can't think of anywhere in the world that would provide more free entertainment then Vegas.

I understand what you are saying about "leather sofa's and TVs" but for me it's more about having a couple of beers around the campfire and that can be done for a lot less money in a class 'C' RV.

Sit down with your mates with a good map to hand and keep working along your outlined route to see how you can start putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Once you have done so I am sure we can help you to "fine tune" your trip and offer suggestions.

Take a good look around the RTA site, you will find loads of info.

6. Default

Thanks for that.

We totally agree with most, if not all of what you said - we all want to sit around some evenings, in a camp site with some amazing scenary - just chill with some beers with the lads, and a good old BBQ with some good home cooked grub. Which we'll probably undercook :D

We also do want the "5 star luxury" type hotel on the move, and when sleeping after eventful days aswell. The RV's we have seen have 3/4 slide outs including awnings and loanable BBQ's, camping chairs and tables with cutlerly, outside flat screen TV's with a radio and/or DVD player. From this point of view - best of both worlds is what we ideally want. Even if it costs an arm and a leg :)

You're also very right about the times - when doing long distances the flaws become very apparent.

I am now going to research and divise a route plan.

If you plan on taking a RV to Death Valley, there are summer restrictions. Check with the rental company to determine exactly in which months you may not do it.

Default Spring/summer overlap possible.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If you plan on taking a RV to Death Valley, there are summer restrictions. Check with the rental company to determine exactly in which months you may not do it.
    Good point, I didn't mention it as we are in the "Spring road trips" section. If it is late Spring best to check the small print though!

9. Default

Right, in our 21 day travels, we have worked out approximately 10 days travelling/1 day catch-up, 10 days sight seeing. Approx 50/50. The route, including all our places of visit we have planned, totalled 6060 miles.

I will upload our plan later, when I get it off my mate.

Default Ten plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Danneh View Post
    Right, in our 21 day travels, we have worked out approximately 10 days travelling/1 day catch-up, 10 days sight seeing. Approx 50/50. The route, including all our places of visit we have planned, totalled 6060 miles.

I will upload our plan later, when I get it off my mate.
    At least you have some "wiggle room," as you will really struggle to cover 600 miles a day average in a large RV, especially with 6 of you having to get ready in the morning and get fed etc on route. You will need that "catch up day" for sure.

Look forward to seeing what you have.