Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Best route from Rochester NY to Arlington (DC)

Planning a trip leaving Sat morning around 5 am to arrive in Arlington to visit the Cemetery.. next day will spend in DC and then off to Annapolis on Monday to view the academy... I hear the traffic is crazy.. any suggestions are very much appreciated !!

Welcome!

Saturday shouldn't be too bad. Take the Thruway to I-81. Take that south to Scranton and get on I-476. Take that to I-95 and take that all the way to DC. I would probably take the Beltway (I-495) around the northwest side of DC and then the George Washington Parkway to Arlington. This is 475 miles and you should be able to do it in 10 hours or less with fuel, food, and bathroom stops.

For a more scenic route down to DC from Rochester you can jump on I-390 to I-86 east to Painted Post, NY where you will hook up with US 15. You can take 15 all the way down through the heart of Pennsylvania. It'll give you more to see on your trip and since you are leaving at 5am you will have plenty of time to get through 15. Take it all the way to Frederick, Maryland and hit I-270 towards the DC area. You will avoid the Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington area of 95 which is some of the area with the heaviest traffic. There is construction just south of DC (as of Memorial day weekend) and 95 was backed up for a while in Virginia when I went to North Carolina in late May. Although it's a weekend one of the lanes was still closed because it wasn't drivable. Avoiding I-95 all together would be the best idea.

Jim, I looked at that, it does save about 75 miles but I'd be willing to bet that it will take considerably longer by the time they get done. US-15 is not a very fast road.

That might be something to do on the way back though for a change of pace. I'm thinking Saturday is probably the least obnoxious day to deal with the I-95 corridor.

What about 81 to Harrisburg? You can get on 83 south to Baltimore. It avoids going so far to the east as well.

Yes, that would work well. You can then take I-83 to the I-695 Beltway around the west side of Baltimore to I-95 - or take US-15 out of Harrisburg to I-270. I believe that stretch of US-15 is pretty decent.

Believe it or not, both those options are about the same distance as taking 476.

Default For a Few Minutes More

As long as there seems to be general agreement on US-15 down the Susquehanna River valley at least as far as Harrisburg, let me add this for consideration, especially on a trip to visit Arlington National Cemetery. I used to make that drive often between Ithaca, NY and Washington, DC and agree that US-15 is an excellent scenic and relaxing choice. But rather than take I-83 to and around Baltimore consider this. Just north of Harrisburg you will intersect US-22/US-322. Take this down the east shore of the Susquehanna rather than continue on US-11/US-15 on the west shore. At Harrisburg get on I-81 south for just a bit down to Carlisle, PA. There take PA-34 south to just past Mount Holly Springs and then take PA-94 south to rejoin US-15. This works a lot better than trying to use US-15 through Harrisburg and puts you back on US-15 just in time to make a short stop at Gettysburg if you are so inclined. This routing also brings you within about 15 miles of Antietam Battlefield just west of Frederick, MD.

AZBuck

That would also be my recommendation on the I-81 to Harrisburg to US-15 option in my last post. I'm just wary of recommending US-15 all the way down from Painted Post from a time standpoint.

Default Sitting next to an ex-Rochesterian...

Linda, sitting next to me, who has traveled from Rochester to Rockville, MD dozens of times, says US15 is the way to go.

She suggests a stop in Williamsport at Wegman's for breakfast. Right off the freeway. (If you're from Rochester, you know about Wegman's).

Okay, if that's your endorsement, this is what you would want to do:

I-390/I-86/US-15 to Williamsport. Take I-180, and when it crosses I-80, it becomes PA-147. Take that into Northumberland and get on US-11. It will take you back to US-15, and the 2 highways are multiplexed all the way to Harrisburg. However, you will want to pick up US-22/322 just before you get to Duncannon and take that to I-81. Take that to Carlisle and take PA-34/94 back to US-15. At Frederick take I-270 to the DC Beltway, go west, and take the George Washington Parkway or VA-267/I-66 into Arlington.

Total miles are right about 400. I'd probably allow about 9 hours. What does Linda think?

Hmm - Wegmans, as in the grocery store?