1. Default From LA 2500miles to LA

Hi everybody,

first of all: very nice board and forum here, exactly the one I was looking for.

I'm from Germany and planning a trip trough the southwest of the US this September with my girlfriend. First I wanted to book it trough an agency but in the end I decided to plan and book everything by myself. So far I have all the hotels and motels together and booked.

The Trip will start in LA and will end in LA 16 days later.

The route planned is:
    LA (2day) - Palm Springs (1 night) - Williams (1 night) - Grand Canyon (option the same day drive to monument valley) - Page (1 night) - Bryce Canyon (1 night) - Las Vegas (2 nights) - Sequoia National Park (1 night) - Yosemite National Park (2 nights) - San Francisco (3 nights) - Grover Beach (1 night) - LA (5 nights Redondo beach at the end)

I have one question, I would love to see death valley. So far I planned to drive directly from Vegas to Sequoia south of death valley. The trip is already really long that day, but still it would be great to drive trough death valley. So now I'm not sure what to do! What would you suggest, I think trough death valley it's a 3 hour extension on the drive. Would you reccomend to do it anyways? I can't change or ad a day to the trip, so I can only press it in there or leave it out.

Thank a lot, Tyler

Default Doable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Death valley is pretty awesome, even if it means just driving through. If you want to do it badly enough, it is certainly doable but only with an early start and late finish to the day. The 160 through Pahrump and then to Death valley junction via Ash Meadows/ State line Road to 190 would give you a good taste of this place.

Expect it to be a 12 to 14 hour day but with plenty to keep you feeling a wake and alive !

Williams (1 night) - Grand Canyon (option the same day drive to monument valley) - Page (1 night)
    The Monument Valley option probably would not be possible without reducing your time in the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley to a quick drive-through.

Williams to the park is a little over an hour. The park to Page is about 2.5 hours. The park to Monument Valley and on to Page would be about 7 hours. It may be possible, although rushed, if you cancel your reservations in Page in favor of someplace closer to Monument Valley and still within reasonable reach of Bryce Canyon. A possibility would be Blanding UT - it's about a 7 hour drive from there to Bryce via 95, 24, and Scenic 12. Bryce to LV is about 5 hours via 89/14/I-15, so that wouldn't impact your time in Bryce that much. You can also go through Zion, but that may be pushing it.
    Last edited by glc; 07-13-2010 at 10:52 AM.

4. Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Death valley is pretty awesome, even if it means just driving through. If you want to do it badly enough, it is certainly doable but only with an early start and late finish to the day. The 160 through Pahrump and then to Death valley junction via Ash Meadows/ State line Road to 190 would give you a good taste of this place.

Expect it to be a 12 to 14 hour day but with plenty to keep you feeling a wake and alive !

Thanks a lot for your help! I think in the end we will decide the day before if we drive trough Death Valley or not. The good thing is to know that it's doable but long.

What do you think in general about the trip? Is it ok planned ?

5. Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    The Monument Valley option probably would not be possible without reducing your time in the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley to a quick drive-through.

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion. In the beginning we didn't plan to drive to Monument Valley, but friends of mine told me that I have to see it. That's why I put it in as an option, but still not sure if I will do it. I know that with Monument Valley it will be a rush trough Grand Canyon.
    But I will check your option with Blanding UT. I'm really looking forward to Bryce Canyon, that's why I planned to to a rather short distance to Bryce Canyon from page, because I would love to see the sunset in Bryce Canyon.
    I will check the alternatives you reccomended, thanks a lot!

Default What I think.

What do you think in general about the trip? Is it ok planned ?
    Yes, I think you have done a good job, nice work.

I do agree that Monument valley is too much and would personally dedicate as much time as I could to the Grand canyon. As you arrive you have various viewpoints and a rim walk around the village area, a shuttle bus up to Hermits rest that you can hop on and off at the various viewpoints and as you leave the park to the East along Desert view drive there are more, each one offering different perspectives.

I think in the end we will decide the day before if we drive trough Death Valley or not
    Wise choice !

I would also try and leave Page early to get to Bryce and drive directly to the far end of the canyon and visit the viewpoints on the way back. This puts all the pull outs for the viewpoints on your side of the road and you won't have to keep crossing traffic. Get yourself back to the rim walk around "sunset" and sunrise" points to ready yourself for a sunset. By doing so you might be able to afford yourself a little time in Zion NP on route to Vegas the next day.

As you enter Yosemite from the South make sure you take the Glacier point Rd to Glacier point, the views are fantastic !!

If you do visit Zion [and possibly if not] you will find the annual National parks pass for $80 will work out a little cheaper than paying individual fees at each park. You can check it out and get great info on all the parks at the NP Website.

If you are planning on visiting Alcatraz Island while in San Fran [recommended] you can also book tickets in advance through the NPS [also recommended] but the price is not included as part of the annual pass. Otherwise you have to wait in long lines of queues, or worse still the tours do sell out.

If you take the Blanding option and leave very early in the morning, you shouldn't have a problem getting to Bryce for sunset. UT-95 is quite scenic and UT-12 is one of the greatest scenic highways in the country. You may even have time to take a quick drive through Natural Bridges and Capitol Reef on the way.