1. Default San Francisco to San Francisco in 1 day

I'm going to have a single day in San Francisco near the end of this month, and I'm thinking of renting a car and going for a long drive in the surrounding areas. The problem is, I don't know where to go!
    Ideally I'd like to get up into some mountains, see some amazing views, possibly out into a lush, green valley or even into a desert if possible. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out whats a reasonable distance away.

I've realized that a single day doesn't amount to much of a roadtrip from everything I've been reading on this forum, but I don't think a 300 mile roundtrip sounds too shabby either. If anyone can help me figure this out, its you guys!

Joplin MO

Heading to the Sierras is just a bit too much for a single day, as is the desert. Perhaps you could head up into the Napa/Sonoma wine country on US-101 and return down the coast on CA-1. Another option is head south down the coast on CA-1 to the Monterey area and return, possibly on some mountain roads in the coastal range such as CA-9 and CA-35.

South of England.

Default Stay put ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With a single day you are limited, but a trip over the Golden gate bridge to the Golden gate recreation area and Muir woods and maybe on to Napa valley would be pleasant, but a suggestion [one I don't think I have made before on the forums] is why not stay put? San Fran is a great little City, is easy to get around and there is plenty to see in a day. A tour to Alcatraz, Pier 39, Coit tower, Union square, China town and riding the cable cars are just a few of many options.

SF Bay Area

Default I agree with S/W Dave

So much to do in The City.

But if you MUST drive around, then his suggestion to hit the north bay is probably your best bet.

You can probably squeeze in Sausalito, Marin headlands, Muir Woods, Pt. Reyes, Sonoma and/or Napa wine country into a longish day.

Alternatively, you can do a loop south down the coast through Santa Cruz, Monterrey, and Carmel.

Default Stay put or go north

I agree that SF is a treasure in itself, but if you want to drive out, go across the Golden Gate Bridge. The headlands are right there, and then there is Mt Tamalpais, Muir Woods, Point Reyes lighthouse, and the Napa-Sonoma wine country.

You can make a good loop trip up the coast to Point Reyes, over the hills to Napa and then down through Vallejo and Richmond on the return. You will cross the Bay Bridge on your return.

You will have a good time regardless of which path you take.