Thread: bost to orlando

1. Default bost to orlando

Me and my boyfriend are going on holiday to Boston where we are picking up a car for 10 days. We want to drive down to Orlando. Is this doable in the time we have and is there a good scenic route we could take. Also we want to be able to enjoy the places we see and not be constantly driving. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Joplin MO

Boston to Orlando can be driven in 2.5 days straight through (driving 10 to 12 hours a day), so 10 days is quite doable. Do you want to go down the coast or do you want to go inland? Do you want to avoid or visit large cities? Is this a one way or a round trip? If it's a round trip, you can do both.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply.

Our plan is to visit New York and Washington. I would like to drive along the coast and maybe visit a national park on the way. I would also like to leave enough time to spend atleast 2 nights in Orlando. Do you have any suggestions of where we could visit on the way down after the big cities?

Tucson, AZ

Default In the Tine Left

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Between minimal driving time, two days in Orlando, and a day each in New York and Washington, you've accounted for seven of your ten days. That still leaves plenty of time for a few detours along the coast and stops en route. I'd suggest that you head to Norfolk from Washington, and from there VA-168/NC-168 south to US-158 to Nags Head, NC. This sets you up for a drive down the Outer Banks of North Carolina on NC-12 through the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. continue south, taking the short ferry ride (free) from Hatteras to Okracoke Island, and then the longer ($15 or so - reservations recommended) ferry from Okracoke to Cedar Island. From there, US-70/US-17 will take you south through Myrtle Beach to Charleston and back onto I-95. If you find yourself with extra time or want to skip the Outer Banks, then two alternatives would be Savannah and Cumberland Island.

Joplin MO

The other option would be to head west from DC on I-66 and go down the I-81/I-40/I-75 or I-81/I-77/I-26 corridor. This would give you mountains instead of seashore. You could drive part of the Skyline Drive and/or Blue Ridge Parkway.

6. Default Thanks for the reply

That sounds great,Thank You. Not being from the US, are there any area's we should try to avoid (safety wise) if we decide to take the coastal route?