1. Default New Hampshire to Montana

I am new to the forum and have a few questions! My husband and I are planning to take a trip to Bozeman, MT in our fifth wheel next September. We will have about 3 weeks and would like some hints on a good route and must see stops along the way. I am finding my way throughout the forums and appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Your Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is never simply "a route" between two points, but a range of possibilities. And personally, I would never use the same route to and from a destination on a trip of this magnitude. There is just too much new territory to explore to cover the same ground twice. So, with those things in mind, let's look at the basic options you have for this trip. If you rely on mapping software such as Google Maps or MapQuest, they will almost certainly have you taking I-90 between New Hampshire (I'm assuming Concord) and Chicago, but that is hardly a user friendly highway. You will be paying high tolls, especially towing a fifth wheel, sharing the road with a lot of traffic, have limited options for gas and food, and besides, they're not terribly scenic.

If you have your passports and vehicle documentation in order, then the first option I'd look at is going 'over the top' of the Great Lakes to Sault Ste. Marie. You'd take I-89 up through Vermont to the Canadian Border at Highgate Springs, then QC-133/QC-35/QC-10 to Montréal and QC-40 to start up the Ottawa River. Except for QC-133 those are Autoroutes and of Interstate quality. Upon entering Ontario, take ON-17 (the Trans Canada) all the way through Ottawa (worth a stop), North Bay and Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie where you'd cross back into the U.S. At this point, a very worthwhile side trip would be to head down I-75 to cross the Mackinac Bridge and visit Colonial Michilimackinac State Historical Park, but your basic route would be across the northern shore of the UP along MI-28/US-41/US-2 past the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore to Duluth and then MN-210 through the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes to join I-94 at Fergus Falls, MN, and follow that through the upper Great Plains past Fargo and Theodore Roosevelt National Park to Bozeman.

Another alternative would be to stay in the U.S. and south of the of the major cities on the Great Lakes. For this, you'd start out by heading down I-93 to I-495 and the Mass Pike to I-84 past the Delaware Water Gap to Scranton, PA, then a short bit on I-81 to I-80 across northern Pennsylvania. At Youngstown, OH you'd switch over to I-76 through Akron to join I-71 to Columbus. There you pick up I-70 to Indianapolis, passing the Air Force Museum in Dayton, and take I-74 out of Indianapolis to the Quad Cities and I-80 past the Amana Colonies and through Iowa to I-29 north out of Omaha to I-90 at Sioux Falls and follow that past the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, and the Little Bighorn to Bozeman.

Each of those routes would take 5 days of dedicated, but not exhausting, driving. But with your load and desire to make stops along the way, I'd budget a full week, leaving a week in the Bozeman area. There are, of course, other options, but those are your basic ones, and you can take either one in either direction.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-10-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Typo - significantly changed meaning

3. Default

Thanks for the great info! We love to go to Canada, so that would be a great option. We do not plan to rush, just take our time and go off track if we get interested somewhere!