Default First road trips....memories????

For some of you this might be a challenging thread, but for others, maybe not. I'm just curious if you remember your first road trip, and what was memorable?

My first road trip was when I was about 5 years old, and my brother was a baby. We got into my dad's car and drove from our home in the south suburbs of Chicago, down to Florida, over Christmas vacation. My dad was so anxious to get away from snow and cold, those 4 letter words. I remember being in the car for a very long time. I sat in the seat and my brother got to ride in a "car bed" (in 1962, few cars had seat belts).

I remember stopping at a motel and being amazed that you could use a bedroom and then leave the next morning. The only problem was, I left my pillow there (and my mom had to buy a new pillow and case when we finally got to our destination in Florida). I remember we drove for a long time and had to sleep in the car, because my dad and mom took turns driving. Recently I asked my mom, and she said we drove 850 miles until they were sure there wouldn't be any snow or ice to drive through, then they stopped at a motel. Also, that must have been the year that the doll Chatty Cathy came out, because I got one for Christmas. All the way down and back, I pulled that string and my dad and mom were entertained with "Please brush my hair" and other things that this talking doll could say.

About a year and a half later was our 2nd road trip, but it was our first with a travel trailer. My parents bought a 1959 teardrop trailer which had 2 beds (I had to share with my baby brother and keep him from falling out of the bed), one sink with a water pump, 1 small 2-burner stove and an ice box. We drove from our Chicago suburban home to NJ and stayed at Panther Lake. My dad commuted into NYC every day on the bus and we stayed and played at the lake. I believe that was the only road trip for that trailer, because it was replaced by another one shortly.

Anyone?

Donna

Default In North America

The first time I went to the US I had no idea where the Grand Canyon was, and had never heard of Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, or any of the other NPs. I just knew I had to be in MN on a given date for my son's wedding. So got some maps at the AAA, and kept heading in that direction.

The experience was unforgetable, and has led me to now preparing for my fifth trip. But it will never be like it was. I now know too much. There is no way of recreating that delightful ignorance/innocence with which I hit the road, in 2001.

[Roatripping here, in Oz, is so totally different - no comparison.]

Lifey

Default My First Solo Cross-country Jaunt

Car road trips are a part of my memory as far back as I can go... How about my first solo cross country road trip? I was ~19 and drove about 10,000 miles in about two weeks.... Don't do the math... It was not a wise thing to do. Actually the trip was closer to 25 days, I needed to rest from time to time...(but it was ~ 12 actual days of driving) I've personally driven coast-to-coast about 12 times since then. But that first time was pretty special and I can still remember much of the detail. The first time I saw a couple dozen acres of blooming sunflowers in Kansas, watching the sun rise over the Florida bay, the giant roaches along the beaches, odd little memories.

Mark

4. Default

I'm game!

We moved from Los Angeles to Houston, Texas when I was 7 and ever summer we drove back to LA to visit family. There were two times when we did a train ride one way and once I flew...I was 13 and remember that flight. I don't remember most of those early road trips...probably blanked out the long hours of sitting next to my baby brother...LOL!

The first road trip that was for travel & fun, I remember very well. We were living in Texas and my Grandparents came to visit us the summer I was 11 and they want me to go with them to New York and Michigan to visit my Grandma's family (she was one of 13 children so it was a large family). We traveled up to New York by Greyhound bus. I remember my Grandma liked sitting in the first seat so she always had us first in line to get that seat. I got to sit next to Grandma and Grandpa sat behind us. I loved those seats as much as Grandma did!

In New York City I remember looking out the hotel window. We went to the Statue of Liberty and I remember my Grandma & I climbed the stairs to the Crown. We went to the Empire State building and they were going to let me ride the elevator to the top but I didn't want to go by myself.

In Buffalo, NY I stayed with relatives that had a girl my age. We camped in a tent in their back yard. She had one of those dolls that was 3 foot tall and was the size of a 3 year old. (I don't remember the name of the doll but this was in 1962) I had always wanted one of those dolls. We went to Niagara Falls and I remember standing near the falls feeling the roar as much as hearing it. We went to some amusement park and I remember going several times on swings that went around and up high. It's here were I started getting a little homesick when I called my parents. In those days you didn't make a lot of long distance phone calls.

From here we went to Detroit to visit a friend of my Grandma's. This part was a little boring. The lady MADE me drink some kind of juice for breakfast and since she didn't have orange juice I had to drink apple juice....not my favorite! I remember sitting on her porch timing the street light because it was the most exciting thing to do there...LOL!

From Detroit we switched from buses to trains. The first one took us to Chicago's Grand Central Station where we then go on board a much nicer train with a lounge car that I remember looking out the windows and playing cards with my Grandma. From Chicago we traveled back to Los Angeles where my parents and brother came for the regular summer visit.

Next....

Utahtea

I love reading these adventures! First solo trip for me was to drive from Casa Grande, AZ, to Missouri, to get back to college for my senior year. I bought one of my parents' cars and drove it back. I stopped the first night in Albuquerque, NM, and the second night at Hutchinson, KS (I left the freeways at Tucumcari, not rejoining one until I-35 in KS). This was ... too many years ago.

First trip as a couple was from central Missouri to Casa Grande, the next summer after we were married. Hubby was driving the smallest UHaul truck with our combined belongings, and this was the first time he'd ever driven stick shift. (We still tease him that he was born to be a truck driver.) I was the lead vehicle in that same car I'd driven AZ-->MO the summer before. No cell phones in 1978, no walkie-talkies either. We had a series of light signals for the rear vehicle to tell the front one "I need to stop!" Fortunately we never got too far apart. If I got too far ahead, I pulled over onto the shoulder and waited. Trying to remember where we stopped - Wichita, KS was the first; Tucumcari (I think) was the 2nd, and Alamagordo was the 3rd. The only reason we stopped there was for White Sands NM. Man, that was HOT but interesting! Otherwise, Lordsburg had been our intended goal.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 06-21-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot sentence

6. Default

No solo road trips for me. In fact I hardly ever drive on our road trips. I can count on one hand the times I've driven over 10 miles. The most I did once was 50 miles down I-5 during one of our first road trips as a married couple. DH loves to drive and I love to be driven! ;)

Utahtea

My husband's like that too. He takes over the wheel and when I ask to drive, he tells me, "No, I'm fine!" My MIL says that his dad preferred to be the driver, so maybe it's genetic. :-)

Donna

8. Default

I'm not sure about the genetic on DH's side. As soon as DH had a drivers license his Dad had him driving the family around on trips! DH is a very good driver and I prefer he drives. I like to navigate ;)

Utahtea

Maybe that's why DH prefers that he drives, because navigation just isn't his thing. I love maps - my mom tells me that I always have. Only once or twice have I ever screwed up and gotten us going the wrong way, or figured out the mileage totally wrong.

GPS drives me nuts for a couple of reasons, and one of course is that it isn't paper. Ours is setup to give you each direction on the map, as you're driving. But because I have to see the "whole picture", I end up getting it to show me the directions page (like you would see if you had a Mapquest or Google maps page).

I was shocked one time, about 8 years ago. We were teaching teen-daughter to drive. Without being asked by any of us, DH got off at a rest area in the middle of the plains of Colorado (I-70) and told that daughter, "You drive." I had to sit in the backseat where teen-daughter usually sat, and she drove for about an hour.

Donna