Thread: New York to LA

1. Default New York to LA

The summer after I graduate college, my friends and I are planning to do a road trip from NYC to LA. We want to go south along the east coast and then west along the southern border. The only places we really know we want to stop are somewhere in Florida, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas. We are planning to rent an RV and spend 2 weeks doing the trip. Anybody have any suggestions on other places to stop along this route and will 2 weeks be enough time for all the driving and still allow us a good amount of time in each destination? Thanks for your help.

P.S. We are planning on stopping in around 10 different places.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't think you're going to have nearly as much time as you are hoping for. You can certainly complete this trip in 2 weeks, but you're really not going to have time to spend much more than a day or at most 2 in any one place. If you're hoping to explore 10 different places, beyond just spending a night there, you really won't have time.

It takes about 5-6 days to drive direct from NY to LA, and when you throw in a detour to Florida and the other stops you've listed, I'd say you're looking at about 10 full days worth of driving. This of course is assuming you're planning a one way trip. Again, possible, as long as you know its a trip where you have to keep moving.

I'll also warn that your trip as you've laid out will be extremely expensive. One way travel is always more expensive than doing a loop, and traveling by RV is nearly always more expensive than traveling by car and staying in motels. The underage surcharge for the RV rental, since it sounds like you'll be under 25, and the one way drop fee for a cross country trip together could easily add $1000 to the cost of your trip, before you've even factored in the base rate for the rental, as well as all the other campground fees, food, fuel, and other expenses of a roadtrip.

3. Default Military Discount

Anybody know if there are any RV rental companies that offer a military discount?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-27-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

Default likely

I wouldn't be surprised if many companies offered such a discount - probably giving 10-20% off and/or maybe waiving a fee or two - however it really is something you'll have the most luck by contacting each company directly and see what they can do for you.

Google says Yes!

You can also find military RV parks.

Use your MWR to your advantage.

6. Default NY to LA

I did this trip last year when i moved from NYC to LA. I left on a Friday and got to LA on the following Saturday. I didn't go as far south as FL or New Orleans. I took Rte 40 across TN. You can stop in Pigeon Forge for Dollywood, Nashville, Memphis (Graceland, Beale Street, BBQ). There wasn't much in Arkansas, Oklahoma had some delicious beef jerkey and a fun place aclled Pops 66 in Arcadia, OK. Next was Amarillo, TX home of Cadillac Ranch (bring spray paint cans!), and The Big Texan (signs from hwy for 72 ox steak challenge). Then was Albuquerque, NM (meh) and Santa Fe (lots of art galleries, margaritas and green chiles, Georgia OKeffe museum). Then Gallup, NM (old western town), and Holbrook, AZ (petrified Forest), then onto Flagstaff AZ (for Grand Canyon) also if you want to tour south< you can check out Sedona AZ (red rock country) and Jerome AZ (old copper mining town in the hills), then after grand canyon, stay in Kingman AZ if you dont have time to drive thru the CA desert during daylight. It is dark and scary and has few stops/gas stations and lots of 18-wheeler trucks. Best to do that stretch with a full tank and daylight. then onto LA! have fun!! feel free to contact me if you have questions or want more details!

7. Default

also, here's a fun, road-trip inspiring short video of a guy walking across America in a pair of Levi's, set to an awesome song. He goes across the north from NYC to San Francisco, but it made me want to do it all over again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRKEv6cHuk

Default A welcome.

Hi courtneymota, Welcome to the RTA forums !

Thanks for dropping in with some great tips on your first post, enjoy the forums !

[Cool Vid by the way !]

9. Default

Thanks a lot for all the advice about the discount and route! I'll contact a couple companies and report back what I find in case anybody else is interested. As for the route, I am planning on going from New Orleans to Dallas, to the Grand Canyon, and I'm looking for a place to stay between Dallas and the Grand Canyon. Any advice on where would be good? My route is taking me through Amarillo and Albuquerque, so those two and Santa Fe aare all options. It will be a bunch of 21-22 year olds right out of college, so we really want the best night life but other stuff to see during the day would be great too!

It's over 1000 miles from Dallas to the GC, so it's going to be 2 full days of driving. The halfway point is Santa Rosa NM, and there just happens to be a state park nearby that appears to have camping available. I don't think there's much nightlife around there though.