1. Default HOU to Orlando/New Orleans

My husband and I are trying to plan a last minute week(ish) long road trip from Houston for our anniversary at the end of the month. We've come up with a few ideas, but nothing conclusive. Any ideas?

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Honestly, the "Where to" is probably the single most difficult kind of question to answer because its so much at the core of a roadtrip plan. In your case, its basically impossible because we don't have any ideas of what you might be interested in.

Within a week or so trip, you really could go anywhere about 1000-1500 miles from your home, so there are certainly a ton of possibilities. What sort of ideas have you come up with yourself - that might give us some idea of what else might a good idea for you.

3. Default Orlando/New Orleans

Thanks for the reply!

We've decided to go to Orlando. We'll stop in Tallahassee overnight, then finish the drive to Orlando in the morning.

We'll spend a couple of day in Orlando to check out Universal Studios.

Then we'll drive to New Orleans and spend a couple of days there.

Any suggestions (especially budget friendly ones) for food along the way and activities in Orlando and New Orleans?

We'll eat:
    dinner on the road probably somewhere around the midpoint bw Hou and Tallahassee.
    lunch on the road between Orlando and New Orleans about 5ish hours in.
    and maybe dinner on the road between New Orleans and Houston sometime after the 4 hour point.

Green County, Wisconsin

One thing I would really recommend is you scale back your driving expectations a bit. You can certainly do Houston to Orlando in 2 days, but its 2 pretty full days. Driving to Tallahassee in one day is more than a 700 mile trip, and you're looking at 13 hours on the road with just the basic stops, it will be even longer when you factor in stops for things like sit down meals.

I would really recommend stopping someone like Pensacola, or maybe a bit farther to Crestview or DeFuniak springs. In the end, I think you'll be much better off planning for 2 full but manageable days on the trip to Orlando, rather than getting there Exhausted because you pushed yourself too hard - especially when you're planning days at a theme park that can also be tiring.

Similarly, Orlando to NOLA can be done in a day, but its 11-12 hours minimum and is at the very edge of what I would consider doing. Also remember, you'll lose an hour with the time change on this day.

Sorry, I'm not much help with food recommendations along this route. As always, since restaurants tend to change so frequently, the best advice is often just to inquire locally, and find out where the people who live there eat.