1. Default Vancouver, BC to Florida

My friend and I are planning a road trip from Vancouver, BC to Florida next summer. Neither of us have ever been on a road trip of this length before and we need some serious help!!

What are some recommend routes?
    Must see places?
    Any resources (websites, books, etc) you can recommend?

Anything would be helpful! We are girls in our mid 20s if that helps narrow what we envision for our trip.

Thanks in advance!!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Before we can give recommendations, we need to know a bit more about the trip, and about the both of you, over and above "female, ages 23-27".

How long do you have for this trip?
    Where in Florida are you headed?
    What kinds of things do you like to do? To see?
    What things and/or places would you like to avoid? (For example, some folks are afraid of steep hills; this would rule out a visit to two-lane roads over the Rocky Mountains.)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Before we can give recommendations, we need to know a bit more about the trip, and about the both of you, over and above "female, ages 23-27".

How long do you have for this trip?
    Where in Florida are you headed?
    What kinds of things do you like to do? To see?
    What things and/or places would you like to avoid? (For example, some folks are afraid of steep hills; this would rule out a visit to two-lane roads over the Rocky Mountains.)
    Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it.
    We are both female, I am 22 and my friend is 26.
    We are thinking of going for 10 days. Fly from Vancouver to California, then drive from California to Florida. Fly back from Florida to Vancouver. Is that enough time? If not, we can also go for 14 days.
    We are heading to Orlando, Florida and would like to spend 2 days there.
    We would like to hit the "important" tourist destinations along the way (i.e. Grand Canyon) but are eager to take a less beaten, and more authentic path. We'd really like to stop at New Orleans. We are both young (and at times reckless) so we are up for new experiences and having a good time. So nothing specific comes to mind in things to avoid.

Looking forward to responses! Thanks again!

Something you need to keep in mind - if you both want to drive a rental car, there will be a substantial "young driver" surcharge as you are under 25.

Default At least 14 day's.

10 day's just won't be enough time to enjoy yourselves in the way that you might want. With 2 day's worth of airports and flights and 2 in Orlando means the other 6 day's will be mostly driving with a few hours to look around the places you stop at night. With 14 day's it is doable and will give you some time for sight seeing, such as the Grand canyon and New Orleans, but not for instance, spending multiple day's exploring in California. You could start from SF or LA and for a little fun head to Vegas for a night before the Grand canyon. LA would shorten the miles but from San Fran you could drive through Yosemite and Death valley National parks and witness some great scenery, but again time is not on your side.

I would take a look around the forums and travel planning pages above with a good map to hand and look for places that interest the two of you and try and work a route around them. If you use an on line mapping program I would ignore there drive times totally when they tell you it is a "1 day 20 hour" drive from coast to coast as it is impossible to drive at the speed limit non stop. The truth is it will be more like a 6 day drive by the time you have added little detours, and they will be 10 hour day's !! Consider 500-600 miles a day on main routes to be 9-10 hours a day behind the wheel with time for stops for food and bathroom breaks, a stretch of the legs and to fill the car with gas.

Once you have worked through your options a little and have other questions let us know.