Default Dallas to Grand Canyon- Round trip

I'm starting to plan a family road trip for next summer from Dallas to the Grand Canyon (and back). It will be 3 of us (myself, husband and 12 yr old son). I know a few key things I want to see and know we have to hit route 66, but other than that I have no idea where to start or what route to take. Other than the basic route from Dallas to CG, I don't know what route I should take back.

We are planning a 7 day trip (Sat to Sat) by car. I can research interesting hotels, but not sure on cities I should start with.

Any suggestions?

The fastest route from DFW to the GC is 287 to Amarillo to pick up I-40. This is a 2 full day drive with an overnight around Santa Rosa NM. If you do that, then spend 2 days at the GC, you will have 3 days to drive back and you can explore alternates. You could do the opposite - sightsee on the way out and take 40/287 home.

Default Monument valley?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You don't have a lot of "wiggle" room if you want some quality time at the Grand canyon, but on route near to I40 is the Petrified forest, Walnut canyon and Sunset crater [US89]. I would recommend entering the Grand canyon from the 89 to 64 along "Desert view drive" as you will get some great views along the rim drive as the Colorado enters the canyon area. Near to the East entrance is Cameron trading post which has interesting shopping and a restaurant. If you took 3 days to get out there, you could consider turning off I40 at Gallup, through Window rock and head North on 191 past Canyon De Chelley to the 163 through Monument valley to 160 and 89. It won't leave you a lot of time to "hang around" but it will make an interesting drive.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I was thinking...

Home to Amarillo- 1 night in Amarillo
    Amarillo to Albuquerque, NM – 1 night in Albuquerque
    Albuquerque, NM to Grand Canyon National Park, AZ – 2 nights in GC

then..

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ to Tucson, AZ – 1 night in Tuscon
    Tucson, AZ to Roswell, NM – 1 night in Roswell
    Roswell, NM to Dallas - this will be our longest day but I think we will be ready to get home anyway

So that leaves 1 extra night somewhere.. maybe Albuquerque?

What do you think about my plan so far?

If your plan is to visit the north rim of then Grand Canyon, then there is your extra day.

I think your plan works, but it's a bit exhausting for me. In a nutshell, it doesn't allow much time for exploring stuff that you just happen to come across as part of your travels. The following are some examples...

I understand you pondering an extra night in Albuquerque (lots of Route 66 stuff; Sandia Peak; Petroglyph National Monument).

East of Holbrook, you'll be driving past the Petrified Forest National Park and Painted Desert.

In Winslow you might stop to get a picture Standin' On The Corner, but you might also find it fun to spend some time at the La Posada.

Walnut Canyon National Monument between Winslow and Flagstaff is right off of I-40.

Lots of people enjoy spending time in Flagstaff (e.g. the Lowell Observatory might be a treat for a 12-year-old).

While driving to Tucson it doesn't take long to visit the Montezuma Castle National Monument located off of I-17).

In Phoenix, a drive to the top of South Mountain offers great views of the Valley of the Sun.

In Tucson, I like the west section of the Saguaro National Park.

Between Las Cruces and Roswell, it's fun to play on the sands of the White Sands National Monument.

you will be so close to Carlsbad Caverns and the White Sands Desert when at Roswell....I'd be tempted to take the extra day in that area.