1. Default Houston TX to Atlanta Georgia in July 2010

Hello to everybody on the Forum. I need your advice on a trip I am planning to Atlanta from Houston at the end of July.
    This is not a vacation per se but rather a trip to attend the wedding of my wife's family friend in Atlanta.
    We planned to leave on Thursday 29 or Friday 30 July for the Wedding which is on Saturday 31 July.
    The plan is to leave Atlanta on 1 August to arrive back in Houston on 2 August.
    This is our planned itinerary
    First day Houston -Mobile AL with stops at Lake Charles LA and Baton Rouge LA
    Second Day Mobile AL-Atlanta

An alternative itinerary is
    First Day Houston to Montgomery AL with stops at Lake Charles LA Baton Rouge LA and Mobile AL
    Second Day Montgomery AL to Atlanta.

While the first itinerary is what i have came up with I will like to know if you think the alternative itinerary is doable and practical for us in case we are able to make good progress on the first day.
    We shall be travelling with our two kids aged 3 years and 17 months.
    The farthest east from Houston I had been, driving is New Orleans and it took me 8 hours of driving with gas and food stops of course.

Tucson, AZ

Default Crunching the Numbers

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Houston to Atlanta is right around 800 miles. That means you need to plan to be 'on the road'. including stops for gas, meals and bathroom breaks, as well as traffic slowdowns, for about 14-15 hours. Your plan to leave Houston on Friday for a Saturday wedding simply will not work unless the wedding is fairly late Saturday afternoon. Mobile to Atlanta is 330 miles, not something you just knock off in a morning. Especially when traveling with kids, you shouldn't plan on more than 500 miles a day, so in your case, I'd leave two full days for the drive each way.

3. Default

Thank you for your reply.