1. Default Road Trip Advice - Too many options

Hi Everyone,

I am visiting the US from the UK for a 3-4 week road trip. I'm kind of stuck though there are so many routes to pick from so much I would love to see. I also wonder how much I can see in 4 weeks with out rushing things.

We have a rough plan.

Stop in New York for 2-3 days.
    Fly on to Las Vegas where we will hire a car.
    We then plan on driving down to San Diego and up the coast to seattle via the usual spots LA, San Fran, etc.
    We are then thinking of driving down back to Vegas via Yellowstone Park.

Is this achievable in 3 or 4 weeks without rushing stops or is this possibly to little?

Will I see more interesting parts of the US going coast to coast i.e. San Fran to New York and is this achievable on 3 -4 weeks without rushing the trip?

I don't often get 4 weeks off work so we want to make this a special trip so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jose

Default Four Weeks is a great span!

Well, welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum,

Four weeks is a great time-span -- but I'm not sure I really understand the plan here...
    Stop in New York for 2-3 days.
    Fly on to Las Vegas where we will hire a car.
    We then plan on driving down to San Diego and up the coast to seattle via the usual spots LA, San Fran, etc.
    We are then thinking of driving down back to Vegas via Yellowstone Park.
    This could be done reasonably well-paced in three weeks, or three months. It really comes down to how much you want to see from the car and how much you'd like to experience in person, walking on a beach, cruising historic towns or hiking in the Rockies.
    Will I see more interesting parts of the US going coast to coast i.e. San Fran to New York and is this achievable on 3 -4 weeks without rushing the trip?
    And where does this fit in? An alternative to the trip above or?

Maybe you could tell us a little about who will be joining you, if anyone, on this trip. How much long-distance driving experience you have? What kinds of things interest you?

Mark

Default So BIG !!

I am visiting the US from the UK for a 3-4 week road trip. I'm kind of stuck though there are so many routes to pick from so much I would love to see. I also wonder how much I can see in 4 weeks with out rushing things.
    Hello and welcome to RTA.

A nice dilemma to have, and one that a lot of us share ! The US is huge, and a lifetime is just not enough, but with 3 to 4 weeks you can pack a fair bit in.

Not necessarily, as all parts of the US has places of interest, but it is certainly a good option and one you have time for.

I don't often get 4 weeks off work so we want to make this a special trip so any advice would be much appreciated.
    Lucky you ! At this point it is a case of finding what is of more interest to you, as Mark said above. With so much to choose from it is sometimes hard to know where to start, but that's where a little research comes in, as you try and unravel your thoughts. Take a good look around the RTA site for ideas and get some dots on the map of places you really want to see, then research some more to see how you can build a trip around those dots. I know it will feel as though you are going around in circles, but eventually it will start to take shape and then we will be able to help fill in the blanks.

As well as the possibility of a coast to coast trip or North and South along the West coast, I would also look at the Southwest and Arizona, Utah and Colorado as well as California. A wonderful contrast in outstanding natural wonders from the Ocean views between LA and San Fran, Glacial valleys like Yosemite, Desert landscapes like Death valley to Red rock country in Utah and Arizona, and wonderful Alpine scenery of Colorado.

Enjoy the planning, and keep asking questions as you need to.

4. Default

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to be starting the trip and ending it in San Francisco. Flights are now booked :) There is certainly plenty to see round there. I'll write my list and add and drop things depending on how things flow.

Does anyone have any safety advice for a road trip?

I'd love to have a Mustang for the trip but perhaps they attract too much attention and I may be better with an SUV (we plan on visiting some of the national parks in the area).

Thanks again.

Why not just a standard sedan? Mustangs and SUV's carry a hefty rental cost premium and there's not a road in the country that you will need a SUV for.

Default Whatever floats your boat !

I understand the attraction of renting a car that has a little extra appeal, but when you add the extra rental charges and fuel costs up over a 3 or 4 week period, it would amount to enough dollar for some "special treats." In a rental you are not allowed to go off road, SUV or otherwise and there isn't a paved road that a "normal" Sedan can't handle. So you won't really be "better off" in an SUV, but if it's gonna make you feel better and it's what you want, why not ?