Thread: Family Roadtrip

1. Default Family Roadtrip

My family is planning a vacation roadtrip to California. We are leaving next thursday 7/8 from southern Missouri. We will be getting on I-40 in Oklahoma City and will be driving that into Barstow Ca. We have 2 kids on this trip ages 16 and 7. Any points of interest or good places to eat along the way? Thanks in advance

Tucson, AZ

Default My, Yes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I-40 passes through or near some great family attractions including the Oklahoma City Memorial, Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo (where your kids are encouraged to spray paint the cars), Petroglyph National Monument outside Albuquerque, Petrified Forest National Park, and Mojave National Preserve. Not too far off the main road are a couple of places well worth the detour: Canyon de Chelly National Monument and Grand Canyon National Park. For something other than the typical exit ramp fast food joints, usually all you have to do is drive into the nearby town and look/ask around.

Joplin MO

If you like a good steak and if you are in Amarillo around meal time stop at the Big Texan. You don't have to try to eat the 72 ounce sirloin, but I can highly recommend the ribeyes! The motel that's attached is Old West decor, reasonably well maintained and only slightly overpriced - I think I paid about $60 last time I stayed there. No wifi in the rooms but the restaurant has free wifi.