1. Default Roadtrip advice from NYC to Vancouver, BC via Denver

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum and I am looking for advice/ random tips/ routes that people have for going on the route from NYC to Denver to Van.

I am a dedicated foodie so I have some ideas regarding food stops etc, but I am curious what people would say in terms of local roads as opposed to just taking interstates straight the entire way.

I plan on stopping at campgrounds where available and pitching a tent/tarp and sleeping outside. Othewise vudget motel if I absolutely HAVE to.

Any tips/advice would be great. This is really my first time driving long distance.

South of England.

Default More input needed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA froums !

By looking around the forums and road trip planning pages in the tool bars above, you will find lot's of info, ideas and route suggestions. There are just so many options when crossing the country, it's impossible to make any meaningful suggestions at this point, especially when we know nothing of your interests, [other than food Lol] or how long you have to make the trip.

On main routes we normally recommend travelling no more than 5-600 miles a day, that will be a 9 to 10 hour day behind the wheel with time only for short stops for food, gas and to stretch the legs etc. When you have started to fill in some of the gaps and need a little more detailed help, I am sure we can help with the "fine tuning," but you need to give us some more to work with.

Enjoy the planning.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Local routes

Taking the two-lanes as opposed to the Interstates will put you in touch with a larger variety of food options (read: not chains) in many areas, but they may be few and far between. Outside of the larger metro areas, however, don't expect to find haute cuisine, though it is entirely possible to find that "hidden jewel".

For the leg from Denver to BC I'd suggest going through the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier Park if you're camping. Yellowstone is very-camper and visitor-friendly and Glacier Park is very backwoods. So fun to camp in both!

5. Default Details

Hey guys,

Yeah i understand that was a little vague at first, I was posting after work and didn't put that much work into it, sorry about that. I did some browsing of the forums and saw some similar threads that definitely helped, so thanks for this forum firstly.

So my looking for cuisine mostly has to do with finding those hidden gems and just trying road and local food all the way along the route (except for KC where im defo eating a bunch of bbq). I know theres crappy food out there, but ill find something good im sure (and post about it when I do!).

Anyway I'mg going to follow a general route of I70 to denver, then through Wyoming and up to Van, so definitely through the Yellowstone area. Specifically I'm going to look for sections of old Route 66 to drive on for a bit, just for posterity's sake. Mostly in terms of advice I was hoping someone would know of a couple good 2 lane highways kinda along route 70 that might be worth the detour. I plan on spending prolly 1/4 to 1/2 the time on interstates and the other section on locals.

Hope that helps, im going to do some more research tonight and will post more specific questions

Joplin MO

If you want parts of old Route 66, go via Chicago, then take I-55 to St. Louis. I-55 follows the old routing and there are a few old sections left that you can drive.

St. Louis has good BBQ too - my favorite is Super Smokers. Get the pulled pork. There's 6 different sauces on the table for all different tastes.

7. Default Drive from NYC to Denver

I was wondering if you could share your experiences from your drive from NYC to Denver. I am planning to drive from Denver to NYC this summer. It would be great if you can let me know of the best route to take...good places to visit etc..on the way.
    Thanks so much!

New York and/or Los Angeles

Default Route

Be prepared that from NY to Denver will not be as exciting as the rest. From Denver to Vancouver will be amazing though!

From Denver I would highly suggest taking I-70 into Utah. This stretch will add a little bit of time to your trip but will totally be worth it. Be careful though because after entering Utah you will reach a 110 mile stretch that has no rest stops or gas. The stretch will be amazing though. Very scenic.

From there I would head up to Yellowstone and if you have time check out Glacier Nat Park as well. If you don't have time head directly towards Seattle and drive up Mount Saint Helens which is on the way.

Have fun!