1. Default Connecticut to Virginia Beach with small kids...

Hi All,
    This is my first time on this forum :) Next week my friend and I will be traveling from Connecticut to Virginia Beach with her 2 yr old and my 6 yr old. I'm so nervous! I've never driven such a long distance with my daughter. DOes anyone know any cool places we could stop along the way with the kids, to break up the ride? Also if you could post a link to any threads here with suggestions of things to bring for them in the car I'd appreciate it.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Will you be taking this trip all in one day? It's roughly a ten hour drive, which is doable in a day, but you may have plans to take a more leisurely trip, and to allow more time for your stops. You stated you haven't made a trip this long with your daughter - have you made a trip this long before without your daughter?

For related posts, look to the bottom of this page for some links.

3. Default

I guess it's 8 hrs from where I am, and yes I have traveled to Ohio many times from CT to visit family, which is 10 hrs.

Joplin MO

If a computer tells you it's 8 hours, that's with no stops and driving the speed limit all the way. This does not account for traffic and construction delays, which are considerable in the I-95 corridor.

Tucson, AZ

Default Back to the Original Question

It is possible to make the drive from Hartford to Virginia Beach in one relatively long day. This will definitely be a drive that divides into two distinct halves. The first half will see heavy traffic through the New York City area and down most of the New Jersey Turnpike and I'd try to get as far through New Jersey as the kids will sit still for before making your first stop. Fortunately, turnpike rest areas hold a certain fascination for young children who aren't used to them, so simple bathroom and fuel breaks should be all you need. After crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, head south on DE-1/US-13 thereby skipping Baltimore, Washington and Richmond and slowing the pace of the trip while making it easier to stop where you will. If you really want to slow the pace, you can try this back road, but you will have to add at least a half day if you wander too far off US-13 on your way down the Delmarva Peninsula. But even if you just follow the 'highway', you can make 'quick' stops to see the 'Green' in Dover, Pocomoke River State Park in Maryland, the NASA Wallops Visitor Center in Virginia, and top it all off by crossing over the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay to Virginia Beach by way of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.