1. Default VT to CA via the Southern route--ADVICE and HELP Needed!

Hello there,

I am planning a trip from southern Vermont to northern California and am a novice at this. I want to see Washington DC, the Outer Banks of NC, Columbia (South Carolina), New Orleans, Austin, and the Grand Canyon, and then take Highway 1 in CA.

Advice on the most scenic way to travel between these places, good sites to see, camping, food must-haves.... basically any information would be greatly appreciated! Money is fairly tight and I have about 17 days to complete the trip, give or take a few.

Thanks so much!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

That is a bit of a stretch to complete in only a little over two weeks time. By the direct route, it is roughly five days, one-way, to get from Vermont to Northern California. Add the route back and you've got 10 days gone there.

I would remove the Outer Banks from this trip, and save that for another time.

How many days were you planning on staying in each place?

Default Can you confirm this is a one-way trip?

It appears so from a literal reading of your original post. Please confirm/correct.

4. Default

My newbie status is showing...I forgot to mention this is a one-way trip. Northern California will be my new home, so I have the full two weeks to do the east to west trip.

I don't plan on spending much time in each place, since I have lots of stops on my list.

Thank you so much for your help!

5. Default

One way it is! Sorry to have not mentioned that upfront.

Joplin MO

I would head over to Albany and take I-88 to Binghamton, I-81 to Harrisburg, US-15 to Frederick (with a stop in Gettysburg if you are interested) and I-270 into DC. From there, take US-50 over to the Delmarva and US-13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to Norfolk. Head down the Outer Banks all the way to Ocracoke (1 ferry involved) then take the Cedar Island ferry. Take NC-12/US-70/NC-24 to US-17 to Wilmington, then US-74/US-76/US-301/I-20 to Columbia. I-20/I-85/I-65/I-10 will get you to NO. I-10/US-290 will get you to Austin. US-290/I-10 to Fort Stockton, then US-285 through Roswell to I-40 to the GC. I-40/CA-58/CA-99/CA-46 to Cambria, then up the coast on CA-21.