1. Default Chicago to Montrose, CO -- Advice on sights en route, incl. Nebraska or Kansas?

My husband and I are planning a road trip from Chicago to Montrose, CO (probably via Denver). We have almost 2 weeks in August, and we would love to hear from anyone with advice on scenic routes, fun attractions (kitschy, biggest-ball-of-yarn type places, etc.) as well as good places to stay. We love to camp, but we'd also love to stay at a fun B&B or a goofy old motel. Any suggestions are welcome!

Default How about the Nebraska Sandhills?

Hello lovefillsthevoid,

I've been intrigued by the remoteness of the Nebraska Sandhills for decades and in about a month will have the opportunity to travel through and visit for the first time. The Sandhills are described as "grass-stabilized sand dunes" and the country is laced with small "pothole" lakes, streams, and small rivers. The Sandhills occupy an area of some 20,000 square miles generally north of I-80 and south of US 20 in north-central Nebraska. The area is vast, with Cherry County, NE alone being larger in area than Connecticut, and with a population of <6,500 people, the majority of them in the county seat of Valentine.

A number of the huge ranches out there offer accomodations in the fashion of B&Bs. I am personally planning an off-highway diagonal traverse of some 175 miles and plan to stay at the Double R Ranch, north of Mullen, for at least a night.

A traveler with less time to spend in the Sandhills could enter from South Dakota and I-90, dropping through the Rosebud Indian Reservation to Valentine, NE, thence west along US 20 to Chadron, where the Museum of the Fur Trade and the Mari Sandoz High Plains center await. Dropping straight south from Chadron brings you to Alliance, NE and Carhenge, an entirely suitable attraction in the "largest ball of twine" category. As you head further south towards I-80, there's opportunity to go through Sidney, NE, home of Cabelas, "World's Foremost Outfitter". From there, any number of ways to enter and pass through the Front Range on to Montrose await. If this were my trip, I'd find my way to Buena Vista, CO, and cross the Presidential Range at Cottonwood Pass, drive down through Taylor's Park, and on to Gunnison, CO, then taking in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison enroute to Montrose.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

3. Default

Thanks, Foy! This gives us a great place to start planning. I really appreciate the advice. This site is so helpful!

South of England.

Default Uncertain.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums!

You will find lots of ideas and suggestions around the RTA site, but TBH, I am not sure whether you have 2 weeks, for a one way trip to Montrose, or whether you are going from Chicago and back again and looking for things to do in Montrose/Colorado. If you are going by Denver then I would highly recommend Rocky mountain NP, but there are many other things as well, so perhaps you could clarify ?