We're traveling next week with our dog - from DC to SF and was wondering what the most enjoyable scenic route would be? Mapquest has us going interstate 70 and 80 most of the way.

We're also concerned about our dog. Any suggestions or dog friendly parks...etc. along the way. We'll probably stop frequently for him. Anyone out there that traveled with a dog - any suggestions.

We want to take our time - but would like to be there within 7 days.

Thanks so much!

Tucson, AZ

Default Minor Tweaks in the East

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Certainly I-80 in the west is a gorgeous road, but I think I'd look for an alternative to I-70/I-80 in the east where those roads charge tolls and go through some heavily industrialized areas. That's easy enough from Washington and doesn't add too much to your drive time (an hour or two). Start out on I-270/I-70 to be sure, but at Hancock in western Maryland, switch over to I-68 to I-79 south at Morgantown to Charleston, WV where I-64 will take you to St. Louis and rejoin with I-70. Then at Kansas City head north on I-29 and use NE-2 as a connector to I-80 for the rest of the trip. As for your dog, there are plenty of state and local parks where you can walk your dog on leash, and cleaning up after him). Both this route and the route that MapQuest is suggesting will take about six days at a reasonably relaxed pace. If you can add a seventh day, that would be all to the good.

3. Default

Thank you AZBuck - I appreciate your feedback. I'll check out your route - and think avoiding any industrialized areas is a good idea!