1. Default Need suggestions for a road trip beginning in Florida, ending in New Orleans...

Hello, we're taking a four-day cruise from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas, and I'd like to rent a car afterward and make a road trip around to St. Pete where we'd stay for a couple of days and then make our way to New Orleans before flying home to California.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about "must-see" spots along that route. We're into great hotels on beaches, good down-home ethnic dining, music, spectacular views, and history. As much as possible, we'd like to avoid huge crowds and "touristy" stuff. We have up to about 7 to 10 days to make the trip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Big Unknown

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Right now, trying to plan a RoadTrip or other vacation on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico is particularly problematic due to the millions of gallons of crude oil which have been (and continue to be) expelled by the BP Deepwater Horizon well. Certainly, tourists are avoiding the Gulf Coast in droves so that "great hotels on beaches" should be offering very attractive pricing at the moment. Similarly, the many local restaurants are uncrowded and in need of the business. The problem, of course, is predicting where the oil will be washing ashore at any given time. If at the time of your travels, NOAA is predicting clean shores then you should consider heading for Mobile Bay in Alabama and the Gulf Islands National Seashore in Mississippi and Florida. Other locations which should not be affected by the oil spill include St. Augustine, FL, Okefenokee Swamp, GA, and Cedar Key, FL.

3. Default Thanks!

The spill has very much been on my mind in terms of making that particular trip, and I'm hoping and praying for the sake of the people, animals, and wildlife there that the damage won't get any worse than it already is. But, whatever the case, we're not going to avoid the area, although we might not be doing any swimming.

Thanks for the suggestions.