1. Default planning first road trip. advice from those with experience appreciated! NM to MI

So, I love road trips but never before have i been given the responsibility of planning one. We are starting from albuquerque New mexico and ending up in Northren Michigan. I am taking my future mother in law who is an expert planner. I really want to show her a good time. We are nature lovers and would prefer to camp out rather than stay in hotels. So far I know we would like to see the ozark mountains and oklahoma seems like a yawn fest! Any advice as to good sites to plan (i tried using travelogue and they have proved to be quite usless) and just any tips anyone may have are welcome. I am from michigan and so i pretty much know where i want to take her there.

Joplin MO

How many days will you take for this trip?

3. Default road trip from colorado to michigan with a stop at mt. rushmore

i'm going with my future mother in law from colorado to michigan (i orignially thought we were going to leave from new mex) anyway she wants to stop at mt rushmore. i would really like to come up with some other awsome things to see or do. time really isn't a factor, but i don't want to stray too far from our route. we will be going into michigan from the u.p. so, if anyone has any advice on must see or must go places i would love to hear it. we both love nature, she loves history, i like aquariums and music. thanks.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-16-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Tucson, AZ

Default Other Stops on the Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that you're starting out from somewhere along the Front Range, then Rocky Mountain National Park and perhaps the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park if you haven't seen them already, then the Cowgirls of the West Museum in Cheyenne, Wind Cave and Jewel Cave along with the Crazy Horse Memorial which are all in the 'vicinity' of Mount Rushmore, Badlands National Park, the Peshtigo Fire Museum in the Wisconsin town of the same name, and of course Colonial Michilimackinac State Historical Park just after you leave the UP. BTW - I'd be careful about saying things like "we will be going into michigan from the u.p." The UP IS Michigan.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice. Wind and Jewel cave sound especially interesting and i have never heard of those places before. I love to explore. i know the u.p. is michigan. i am from there. i was just trying to give people an idea of the way i would be going so they could give me ideas (rather than telling me to go see stuff as if i would be coming in from southren mi)