1. Default Chicago to Miami

Hello All

We are moving from Chicago to Miami, Fl. We have a RAV4 and will need to drive down. We have an 18 month old with us and were wondering what is the best route for the road trip?

Any advice?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If by "best" you mean shortest/fastest, then I-65 to Nashville, I-24 to Chattanooga, and I-75 to the Florida Turnpike will be it. Of course, best could mean lots of other things too...

In any case, the trip is about 1400 miles, and especially when traveling with a small child, you should plan to make at least 2 overnight stops.

3. Default Chicago to Miami - Overnight stays - which city?

Thank you for your response. And you are right, we are looking at 2 overnight stays.

I was think around the following lines

Sun, May 27, 2010
    12:00 PM leave Chicago - Drive 4 hours - possibly we will be in the EDT zone which meane
    05:00 PM halt [not sure where this will be]
    08:00 PM start again - Drive 4 hours
    12:00 AM check in at a motel for overnight stay [again not sure where this will be]

Mon, May 28, 2010
    06:00 AM second day journey
    12:00 PM halt
    4:00 PM start
    10:00 PM overnight stay halt

by end of monday we should have covered a little less than 20 hours of driving

Tue, May 29, 2010 we would have around 4-5 hours of driving remaining

Any idea on where we should stay over night, area/city wise?

Appreciate feedback
    Thanks

Default I don't understand the gaps?

On Sunday, what are you doing between 5:00 and 8:00 pm -- Long dinner break?

And then after being on the road for 12 hours (the three hour gap notwithstanding) you propose to get up at ~ 5:00 am and start another killer day of 14 hours of travel (again the weird gap doesn't make any sense to me)
    by end of monday we should have covered a little less than 20 hours of driving
    Yeah, but road trip travel is not just the time sitting in the car. By the end of the second day, you'll have done 26+ hours of travel and you'll still have nearly a full day's travel to reach Miami.

The gaps only make sense if you stop every two hours and play with the baby and then press on and try and limit your on-the-road time to 8-9 hours for each of the three days.

Mark

I'm in agreement with Mark, your plans are very odd.

Over 12 hours on the road, you really need to stop more than once - especially when traveling with a child. And planning to stop just once for 3 or 4 hours over a 12 hour and then a 16(!) hour day just isn't a recipe for a good time.

Not to mention, only planning to stop for 6 hours to get a full night sleep in between also is a really bad idea (since you clearly won't be getting a full nights sleep).

I completely agree with Mark, you will be much much better off if you plan to make lots more small stops, and also scale back your overall time on the road. 12 and then 16 hour days on the road when traveling with a small child are really going to to suck out any enjoyment you could have on this trip, and its going to leave you exhausted by your third day.

For a 3 day trip, you should be looking at full overnights around Nashville and Tifton GA.