1. Default Between Seattle and San Fran

Hello,

First time poster, be gentle!

I'm from England going to Canada this August. We plan to travel west from AB through the rockies, BC, Vancouver, Vancouver Island before going South in to America.

First stop is Seattle, then on to Mt Rainier. From here, the plan is to take the 101 through Oregon and California where we'll go to San Fran, LA, San Diego, Vegas then northwards.....

Southern California seems reasonably easy to plan for, however between Seattle and San Fran, I'm short of places to stop/see. We were planning a stop in Florence and Redwood national park but I would love to hear some recommendations if people have any.

We've allocated around 3 days for the drive between Rainier and San Fran but we can take longer if we like.

Thanks!

Default The Car, Boss, The Car

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Sorry if you don't get the (rather twisted) reference of the title, but my first thought on reading your post was what are they going to do about a car. You will be unable to rent a car in Canada and drop it off in the United States, so that is something you'll have to deal with, perhaps by dropping your first Canadian rental in Vancouver and taking public transportation (plane, train, bus, ferry) to Seattle and renting a second car for the U.S. portion of your trip. Note that such an arrangement will involve two one-way drop off fees (ouch!).

I recently did a little RoadTrip along the northern Oregon coast and there is no shortage of scenic state parks and seaside resort towns to fill your days. Do take at least some time and drive a ways up the Columbia River gorge on the Historic Columbia River Highway and take some of the very short hikes back in to see the many waterfalls. Also, it's worth coming inland to visit Crater Lake National Park and then back to the coast around Crescent City, CA for the big trees. You can probably have a nice 3 day drive and still do all that, covering about 400 miles a day, but an added day would make it much more rewarding.

AZBuck

Default Options in Southern Oregon

If you're into plays, you may want to look into the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, nearish to Crater Lake. They have plays other than ones by the Bard (we're on our way up next week to see "Pride and Prejudice" (the play), "She Loves Me" (a musical based on the story behind the movie "You've Got Mail"), and "Merchant of Venice" of the dozen they're doing this year. Tickets in August are pretty tight I would think, so check their website before making plans. Lodging can be found in Ashland (again probably tight for August and pricey) or Medford, Grants Pass, or possibly Jacksonville.

From here you can strike over to Redwood country on the California coast.

4. Default

I'm travelling with a Canadian, they have the car so that's sorted! Thank you for the suggestions, i'll take look. I'm thinking it may be difficult to back track from Florence to crater lake though?

Quote Originally Posted by houghster View Post
    Southern California seems reasonably easy to plan for, however between Seattle and San Fran, I'm short of places to stop/see. We were planning a stop in Florence and Redwood national park but I would love to hear some recommendations if people have any.
    My wife and I had our honeymoon on the Oregon Coast in 1998. The main attraction is the coast itself.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

The Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook

The Sand Dunes just South of Florence

Pulling over to the random beaches all the way from Florence down to Crescent City.

Ashland (already mentioned - a bit off the Coast, maybe 3 hours in from Crescent City) this is a nice town and the Shakespeare Festival is wonderful. It's best if you go during the Summerwhen the Outdoor theater is open and the Green Show is going on.

Fort Bragg/Mendocino. A lot of folks really like Mendocino - personally, I don't really like it and prefer Fort Bragg. Stop at Glass Beach in Fort Bragg.

Point Reyes, obviously.

The Northern California and Oregon Coasts are one of my favorite parts of the country. You could spend a week on this easy.

Hope this helps,
    Jon

Default Fitting It In

The easiest way to include Crater Lake in a trip down the coast from Seattle to San Francisco is to head inland from Reedsport, OR on OR-38/OR-138, and then return to I-5 by way of OR-62/OR-234, and on to the coast via I-5 north(!) to Grant's Pass and US-199 south. That entire detour and a visit to the National Park would take a full day, so it would help if you could add a day to your travels. But it could also work as a break from a day on the WA/OR coast on the day before and the CA coast on the day after.

AZBuck

Hi I don't know where you are starting at in Alberta, but if you are coming from Calgary via Banff, the detour through Kootenay National Park, via Radium Hot Springs, then Golden, Revelstoke(Glacier NP) onto Vancouver.Instead of going straight through Banff-Golden. I am from this area and the drive through KNP is great, Marble Canyon is a short easy hike up to a small waterfall along Canyon, very nice. there is lots of wildlife also. The hot springs are great! You could easily spend a day on this detour, lots to see scenery wise.Invermere is 10 min from Radium and has a nice lake for swimming. We have TONS of golf here ranging in $ from $9 - $120 for a round.