1. Default Pittsburgh to Northeastern USA/Canada

Hello! Looking for ideas for a road trip from Pittsburgh, PA to anywhere northeast. We have five days (most likely a Fri-Tuesday). We have relatives in New Hampshire and Long Island, NY where we can stop overnight to make costs cheaper. Mostly looking for off-the-beaten-path sort of thing. We are not typical tourists and sightseers. Mostly we are just photographers looking for great views, beautiful scenery, historic towns/architecture. Need a bit of a change from the typical rolling hills of PA. We are considering taking a different route back to Pittsburgh to get the most out of the experience. Any suggestion would be quite helpful! Thank you in advance!

Default My Choice (May or May Not Be Yours)

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New Hampshire has a few advantages over Long Island, in my opinion, First there's the fact that long Island is, after all, an island. Once there, where do you go? And it can get awfully crowded in the summer time as all the folks from the city head out there on the weekend. Second, you would have to go through several boroughs of New York City to get there (and out) and there's no way I'd use words like fun or scenic for that portion of the drive. Finally, Long Island is hardly 'off the beaten track'. New Hampshire, on the other hand is known for its, shall we say, quirkiness; the drive there can be quite scenic, and there are more possibilities in the area.

So take a look at two separate routes between Pittsburgh and New Hampshire, one for the way there and one for the way back. Both will take about a day and a half, requiring a stop along the way but giving you a chance to explore some back roads and oddities on the drive(s). One would basically follow the northern ridges of the Alleghenies up into the Finger Lakes of New York, then the paths of the Erie Canal and the Mohawk Trail. The other would use I-80/I-81/I-84 up to the Delaware Water Gap, around New York City and up the Connecticut River Valley.

AZBuck

3. Default Suggestions for Harrisburg - Thousand Islands - Cabot Trail Nova Scotia - Wentworth

So I have developed the following itinerary and am looking for suggestions, such as reviews for any of our stops or destinations we should add. Our main stops include an island cruise at Thousand Islands, NY and exploring the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, both places for which we have only read about online. Has anyone been here? If so, is it worth the trip? They seem like a "must see" from what we've read online, but I personally have never heard much of either. Also, we are considering adding an extra day so we can spend some more time in New England on our way back, such as Acadia National Park, Cape Cod, or anything else. All these places are a first for me and and my travelmate. We are both photographers and are mostly interested in an off-the-beaten-path kind of trip. Any and all suggestions would be highly useful!

Day 1: Harrisburg, PA to Thousand Islands, NY to arrive by 3pm, and do an island hopping cruise and spend the night here.

Day 2: Spend most of the day driving as much as we can en route to the Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia, stopping at some city in between to sleep. *suggestions for camping sites if any* Currently looking to stop at Fredericton.

Day 3: Drive from "some city" (Fredericton?) to the Cabot Trail, spend the day at Cabot Trail

Day 4: Leave Cabot trail and drive all day to Wentworth, New Hampshire, staying the night (we have family in Wentworth so this will make costs a tad cheaper)

Day 5: Spend some time in NH then leave for Harrisburg (OR add an extra day here and visit some place in New England, spend the night, then drive to Harrisburg the next day)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-11-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Merged with prvious posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip. Also, meaningless underlining removed.

Default You'll Never Get Out of the Car

At a minimum, your proposed route covers 2800 miles over 5 days, most of it on two lane roads with towns, stop signs, and lower speed limits. I suppose, if all you want to do is sit in your car for hour on end and watch a beautiful and intriguing world pass by on the other side of the windshield that's fine. But don't kid yourself that you'll have any time for an "island hopping cruise", to "spend some time", anywhere or to actually enjoy any of it, including your 'visit' with your family in New Hampshire.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks for the suggestion. We've calculated if we leave at 6am, we'd arrive to thousand islands at 12 or 1pm. Looked at some 5 hour cruises, one in particular departs at 3p, lasting until ~8p. We would try to be in bed by 11 or midnight at the latest. Wake up at 7a and start driving to Fredericton at 8a, getting in a 9p. Find a place to rest then leave at 6am the next day for Nova Scotia, arriving at ~3pm, spending the rest of the day there. We are almost positive about adding a day, so that would give us extra time in Nova Scotia. After a full day, we'd plan on being in bed by 11p/midnight to leave at 6am for Wentworth, to arrive at 10p. We would plan on leaving at 2pm the next day for York to arrive by ~11pm.

Our two major driving stretches would be from thousand islands to Fredericton, and then Nova Scotia to Wentworth, but we would still have had a full day and a half to explore the Cabot Trail, and half a day at the thousand islands, plus a morning with family to conclude our trip. We don't mind being in the car for long periods of time since we have a convertable and love having the top down to enjoy a scenic route. Our main question is to see if thousand islands and the cabot trail are worth it, since neither of us have heard of them, and whether there are other places more suitable for us according to the description in the earlier post.

Long Island and NH were just suggestions for places we could stay the night for free if they were on our way to a suggested destination. Also, I should add that neither of us are looking to spend time in major cities since it is the summer and we'd rather spend time enjoying the outdoors.

Lastly, sorry about the duplicate posting. Not sure how to go about deleting the original.

You need to add 20% to your drive time calculations. Computer generated drive times are very optimistic. Computers don't have to get fuel, food, or go to the bathroom. They also never get delayed by traffic or construction, and don't even have to stop at red lights or stop signs.

Example - it's really an 8 hour drive from Pittsburgh to Watertown.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You need to add 20% to your drive time calculations. Computer generated drive times are very optimistic. Computers don't have to get fuel, food, or go to the bathroom. They also never get delayed by traffic or construction, and don't even have to stop at red lights or stop signs.

Example - it's really an 8 hour drive from Pittsburgh to Watertown.
    I agree. I am pretty safe adding 3 hours for every 10 hours of driving tme. That's 30% but I've been safe with that. If you get into New Hampshire and want to get away from the interstate see if you can check out hte Kancamagus Highway between Lincoln and Conway. It's a 32 mile stretch of some of the greatest road you could find in New Hampshire. Very scenic with many of great pull offs along the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMaser View Post
    Mostly looking for off-the-beaten-path sort of thing. We are not typical tourists and sightseers.
    1000 Island tour will be anything but off-the-beaten-path. I have only done this from the Canadian site, so take it for what it is: During my visit, there were buses full of turist being dropped off here and people were lining up to buy the tickets to the curise. We couldn't get on to the next available cruse (within 2 hours) as they were already sold out. After a lunch and some walking around, we lined up again to get on the boat.

Once we were on it, it was nice and relexaing with great views, except for the guy who decided to smoke. Would I do it again? Probably not for a while.

9. Default

Ok so much has changed now with the planning of our roadtrip. We now have 10 full days, and have found thousand islands to be much less appealing. Here's the itinerary:

Day 1: Drive from York to Montreal, spend a few hours exploring the city and then spend the night.
    Day 2: Drive to Quebec, stop for a nice lunch, then continue to drive to Fredericton where we spend the night
    Day 3: Drive to Cape Breton, where we will have late afternoon and rest of the day to explore.
    Day 4: Cape Breton
    Day 5: Cape Breton
    Day 6: Drive to Acadia National Park, spend the night here
    Day 7: Enjoy the morning to afternoon at Acadia, then afternoon, start driving to New Hampshire
    Day 8: Explore Portsmouth and Boston, spend the night in Boston
    Day 9: Drive to NY, spend the day here, spend the night in NY
    Day 10: Drive from NY to York

Does this seem doable? Any suggestions for places to stay, sights to see, places to eat would be well appreciated!!