1. Default Salt Lake City UT to San Diego CA

My wife & I - both retired - want to do a one week (2 weekends) trip from Salt Lake to San Diego in our motorhome. The travel dates aren't very important - June, July, August or September. We would like to go the less traveled route and do a little sight seeing. We would like to travel 250 to 350 miles per day. Suggestions for the best places to stay for each evening and where to gas up would be great. When we get to San Diego, we would like to see the San Diego Zoo & also go deep sea fishing & anything else that is "must see". We will probably eat in restaurants for at least half of our meals (best eating places?). We don't have an unlimited expense account, so a somewhat frugal trip would be nice, but we don't want to miss something. We both have difficulty walking, so we will be taking our Jazzi electric chairs with us. Suggestions for handicapped touring would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your suggestions/help planning this trip.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Less Traveled Route

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, your options for routes between Salt Lake City and San Diego are severely limited. Besides the obvious I-15 all the way, which could be done in two very easy days with an overnight in Las Vegas, NV or St. George, UT, there's really only one that will work for you and that will require a third day of driving if you limit yourselves to 300 miles a day or so. That would be US-89 to south of Mount Carmel, UT and then UT-9 west through Zion National Park to I-15 to Las Vegas. From there, take US-95 south all the way to Blythe, CA and then continue on CA-78 through Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and into the San Diego area. Overnights would be around Mount Carmel, UT and Lake Havasu City, AZ (although that would be on the other side of the river from US-95, on AZ-95).

In San Diego, be sure to take in Balboa Park (there's a trolley that runs between all the various museums, and enough handicapped parking so that should not be a problem) and a boat tour of the harbor. My wife and I also tend to travel frugally, and the best deal is to simply prepare your own simple meals from a cooler you bring yourself. Most motels these days offer rooms with at least a microwave and coffee pot which should let you prepare simple hot meals in the morning and evening and sandwiches and snacks you can take with you for lunch.

3. Default

Would it be difficult to route this trip via the Grand Canyon & cut down thru Arizona? The 250-350 miles per day isn't set in stone, but driving for more than 7 or 8 hours is very tiring.

4. Default

P.S. We will be in a motorhome, so we will have full amenities (Fridge, stove, convection/microwave, generator) therefore a motel or cooler won't be necessary. We will need an RV park or campsite to spend the evenings at.

Joplin MO

Is the one week set in stone?

Sure, you can do the Grand Canyon. You can even pick between the North and South Rim. The South Rim has more and better facilities, but is also more crowded.

Take I-15 to I-70, take that east to US-89. Take that south, you will be going right by Bryce Canyon. The North Rim is accessible by taking Alt-89 at Kanab. For the South Rim, stay on US-89 across Glen Canyon Dam and through Page to Cameron.

To San Diego, take I-17 to Phoenix, take the AZ-85 shortcut to I-8 into San Diego.

6. Default

Only planning 9 days 'cause we have 3 parrots we will be leaving home & need to have someone feed & water them while we're gone. A few days more would definitly be a possibility.