Default Up, Over and Back Again

We're headed out in a couple of weeks. We're going from Dallas, to Brooklyn, WI to Rapid City, SD. Similar to our trip last year but we're further west. Looks like we'll go diagonally across Missouri and then up through Illinois.

Anything cool to look at along the way? Any hazards?

Tucson, AZ

Default The Second Time Through

I've often found that my second time through an area is more rewarding than the first. Although the sense of new adventure is a bit diminished, the opportunity and rewards of poking into some less frequented but more locally historic and characteristic places. For example, I'll assume you've been to the Arch in St. Louis, but have you been to Ste. Genevieve, an historic French river town about 50 miles south? Or any of the other great old towns along the Mississippi north of St. Louis like Hannibal, IL; Keokuk, IA; or Nauvoo, IL? Similarly, on your drive across the northern plains, note that there are a whole series of county and state roads (you'll need a good map!) that run parallel to I-90. Every so often, get off the big road and travel through the farmland and small towns at the pace they deserve, and you'll see them in a whole new light. Around Rapid City take in Wind and/or Jewel Caves, and the Crazy Horse Monument. If you haven't done so before, take the short drive over to Devils Tower in Wyoming and hike around its base. On the way home, if you have a little extra time and want a full dose of the prairie, take US-83, the 'Road to Nowhere' south all the way from South Dakota to Texas. In other words, slow down, relax and enjoy.