Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Moving from Vero Beach, FL to Scottsdale, AZ in September.

Hi all,

I'm 20 years old an am moving from Florida to Arizona this September for a new fresh start. I will be driving alone, with just my German Shepherd. I'll most likely take I-10. I'd like some advice on the route and driving that distance alone with my dog. I am very excited, yet nervous. I have been ready for this move for quite some time. I've heard about getting AAA before I leave and I probably will. I will also have my car serviced at BMW. I'm only taking what I can fit in my car, with money I'd spend on movers, I could buy new stuff and not have to deal with the headache of movers. I'd like all the advice, etc. I can get about this move! Thank so much! :)

Welcome!

I would plan on at least 4 days to make the trip. That would put you in the car for approximately 12 hours a day, allowing for food, fuel, and rest stops. Recommended overnights would be around Mobile AL, Houston TX, and El Paso TX. I'd advise staying near the Interstates (such as in the suburbs) and not downtown.

You will need to research "pet-friendly" hotels, and also hotels that will allow someone under 21 to rent a room. The 2 pet friendly chains that are mentioned a lot are Motel 6 and La Quinta. Both the pet and under 21 issues are generally individual property decisions, quite often there is a size limit to the pet and a German Shepherd is a large dog.

3. Default

Thank you! Any advice on taking I-10

Default Pet Exercise

I-10, like every other Interstate Highway, has lots of opportunities for both you and your dog to take a break and get some exercise. The only stretch that you have to give even a bit of thought to is between San Antonio and El Paso in west Texas where services and motels will be a bit farther apart than 'normal' (but still not bad).

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks! I have put SO much into planning this move, I'm just ready to make it! Any recommended stops or sights on I-10?

How much extra time can you build in? If you only take 4 days, there really isn't much you can do from a sightseeing standpoint. What specific kinds of stops and sights would you be interested in?

Check out the link in Buck's post. There's several things in there close to I-10.

7. Default

I plan on giving myself about a week because I love sightseeing and want to give myself extra time to see things.

With a week, you have quite a few things you could do. If you are moving to AZ, you can prioritize and skip the things close to AZ for future weekend trips. You don't necessarily have to take I-10 all the way - in fact, between San Antonio and El Paso, it's pretty desolate. I'd go buy a road atlas and look along the possible routes and see what attractions catch your eye. You could very easily cut north and use the I-40 corridor, for example.

9. Default

Also, I just thought of this. How many tolls are there along I-10 between Florida and Arizona? Any idea? I don't want to bring much cash and obviously I will need it for tolls, just maybe a guesstimate on if there are many. Thanks!

Default none

I'm not aware of any tolls on I-10.

I believe there are some express lanes along I-10 in Houston that are tolled, but the main line lanes of the highway are free.