1. Default Need Advice Planning Road trip from Colorado To California- Multiple Destinations

Hi My name is Brandi. This is my first time posting to a forum, so I am hoping to get some great advise. We are trying to plan an affordable road trip 10-14 days however we are flexible to California from Colorado. We are great Colorado adventurists so we will not be doing anyting in Colorado. Rather we are hoping to spend our time in California. We love the outdoors but the trip is to include Disneyland and some of those great adventures for our daughters 4th bday. Here is my thoughts and I would love your suggestions and ideas on travel and cost...need to make sure we plan appropriatly financially.
    Time- 10-14 days via car starting June 13th 2010
    Destinations: Disneyland, San Diego Zoo (hopefully), maybe Vegas as a one night stop, Fort Braggs, CA and any other great destinations in CA.

Hoping to keep affordable, will be bringing our tent and would love to spend a good chunck of the trip camping but are planning on hoteling the disneyland destination and vegas destination.

Pools a big plus, Beach a big plus

Thanks for your ideas!

Welcome!

I would recommend you take the northern route to get there (basing it around I-80), and take the coast route from north to south. See the inland attractions such as Yosemite, Death Valley and Las Vegas on the way back.

Default She'll Love It

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Traveling with kids can be a wonderful adventure. I'm reduced to having to 'borrow' my grandchildren to enjoy it. However, you need to recognize that they need a bit more physical activity, and rest, than adults. You'll need to devote at least 5 days to the driving portion of your trip from Colorado (I'm assuming Denver for study purposes, but it doesn't make a big difference) to southern California and back, leaving you 4-7 days to split between Los Angeles and San Diego. In San Diego, one great money saving activity is to explore the many museums and gardens of Balboa Park, which is where the zoo is but is also home to puppet shows, giant bug sculptures, model train layouts, etc. etc., etc. For a great beach day in the L.A. area, try Peninsula Park in Newport Beach and walk back to the harbor and the Fun Zone. There's also a nice little ferry that you can ride over to Balboa Island (cute in its own right) and back.

But since around half your vacation time is going to be spent on the road, don't neglect that either. There are plenty of stops of interest to a 4 yr old all along the major interstates, and there's nothing that says you have to take the same route there and back. Consider using I-70/I-15 to L.A. and I-8/I-17/I-40/I-25 back from San Diego, so that you're always on an adventure.

AZBuck

Buck, did you miss it? She wants to go to Fort Bragg, which is north of SF. That's why I suggested I-80 on the way out, down the coast, then inland for the return trip.

Default D'Oh!

Buck, did you miss it? She wants to go to Fort Bragg
    Yes, I'm afraid I did. Thaknks glc, but hopefully she knows where she's going and can figure out that your's is the better route to include that destination.

AZBuck