1. Default OK to Seattle w/Uhaul and car carrier.

Howdy. I need some advise.

My husband is driving from Oklahoma City to Seattle in a 26 ft U-haul with a car carrier. Most of the map sites say to go through Denver and Salt Lake City. On the maps, it looks like that way bypasses most of the mountains, but I'm not sure if that is the way to go.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default can't avoid them

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that you can't avoid mountains between Oklahoma and Seattle, its just not possible to come up with a route that completely avoids them. But, yes, taking I-80 across Wyoming will be your best bet here.

Also keep in mind, the Interstate system is designed for large trucks and trailers, with limited grades and curves, and even the highest passes (I-70 through Colorado for example) are still relatively easy to get through - I've taken that pass in a Uhaul pulling a trailer and really had no problems. Just keep to the right lane when you are driving up the most strenuous mountains, and remember to shift into a lower gear so you don't wear out your breaks as you head downhill.

Joplin MO

My mapping program suggests the best route would be I-35/I-135/I-70/I-25/I-80/I-84/I-82/I-90. Hopefully, the U-Haul will have a diesel instead of a gas engine, which will pull the mountain grades a lot better.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies.

The truck in a diesel so hopefully it won't have any problems. We rented it through Penske and it has 2,800 miles on it, so it should still be in good shape.

Joplin MO

I was going to suggest Penske. My son in law is a regular customer of theirs and their trucks are generally in a lot better shape than U-Haul's. Customer service is better too.