1. Default Planning a trip to New Jersey from Phoenix, Arizona... Need some advice PLEASE

Hi, I am new to RTA and I am looking for some help on planning my trip to New Jersey from Arizona. I have 3 children and would need to stop quite a few times... I am under the impression it will take roughly 37 hours to get there. My biggest problem is I am unsure of which route to take.
    If anyone can help me out with taking a decent route back east I would greatly appreciate it, though I am not looking for scenic routes. I just want to get back East safe and sound with my family. I understand I10, I20,I30, I40, I81 & I78 may be the easiest route with children, though I am not certain. Please Help

Thank you :)

Default real world travel

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, 37 hours of this trip is wildly optimistic time, but in any case, measuring a trip of this size in hours is a fairly pointless endeavor. You're looking at a 2400 mile trip (give or take your exact destination in NJ) this is at least a 4 day drive, but with 3 kids, making frequent stops, planning a 5th day would not be a bad idea at all.

The shortest route for you would be to take I-40 to I-44 to I-70. That's about 200 miles shorter than going via I-10/I-20 as you described. I really don't know why one route would be safer or easier with children, as they are both interstate highway routes with plenty of opportunities to stop along the way.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-07-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo

3. Default

Midwest Michael,
    I Thank You for your help. I was told sometimes there are not many rest areas on certain Highways that is why I had said that. In regards to being safe that is all I want a safe trip to New Jersey, though I was under the impression those particular highways had more rest areas. Again Thanks for the help I will check that out right now :)

I'm not sure if one highway has more or less specific rest areas than another, however, you'll have plenty of exits with services every route you get that can provide a break from the road. Even better, its quite easy to find a nice park, recreation area, or other fun place to take a break from the road every few hours along every interstate in the country.

I-44 doesn't go to I-77. Where in NJ will you be going?

Don't sweat the rest areas, almost all exits will have services if needed.

6. Default

Thank You! I had no idea I44 didn't go to I 77... I am going into Union,NJ off of route 78. I try not to sweat the rest area thing but I just can't help it! I have 2 boys potty trained and my lil girl is still in diapers so- I get worried about finding the necessary stops for them.

Best route is I-17/I-40/I-44/I-70/I-81/I-78. This is 2500 miles and can be done in 4 very long days, 5 days would be a lot more prudent.

Yes, rest areas can be few and far between, but you shouldn't have a problem finding services at most exits. The Interstate system now has signs before every exit that show the major services available at the exit (fuel, food, lodging).

I would look at overnights around Santa Rosa NM, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, and Wheeling WV.