1. Default Grand Teton to Glacier

We found great advice here last year and need advice on the best route to take from Grand Teton to Glacier NP.

We like to drive, hike, see different things.

We had originally planned to head up on the Western side heading out of Jackson WY connecting with Montana 47, 87 and US 287 and then connecting with Montana 83 further North ., staying in Kalispell then going up to Polebridge, drive the Going to the Sun Highway and staying in East Glacier but wonder if coming in from the East, and doing a circle from East Glacier to West and points along the way via Going to the Sun and then back east via US 2. We will be heading back to Minneapolis MN via Glendive MT and then I-94

Thanks again for this great forum.

Jeff in MN
    Last edited by MN Jeff; 06-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Default Do you mean US 93 to the west?

Hello Jeff,

Whether on WY 22 or down US 26/89 to Hoback Junction, I'd work over to I-15 in the Idaho Falls or Pocatello areas. West/northwest of there US 20 connects with US 93 at Arco and that takes you right by Craters of the Moon NP. North up US 93, between Challis and Salmon, is a walk-in hot spring called Gold Bug. Parking area said to be a very short distance off of US 93 and it's around a 3 mile walk to the hot spring adjacent to a plunging alpine stream. I've never been there but I'm going in July. Farther up US 93 is Lost Trail Pass where you cross back into Montana. Staying on US 93 brings you through the Bitterroot Valley to Missoula, then on up towards Glacier.

From I-15 in Idaho, you could also stay on I-15 into Montana, thence northwest on MT 278 at Dillon, and cross the most spectacular part of the Big Hole Valley between Jackson and Wisdom, MT. Turning west on MT 43 at Wisdom brings you by the Big Hole National Battlefield, a most worthwhile stop, and back to US 93 at Lost Trail Pass.

Heading west on MT 43 from Wisdom then north on MT 274 just before Wise River brings you to Anaconda and MT 1, "The Scenic Route". Passing through Anaconda towards Philipsburg brings you past Georgetown Lake and you most certainly want to stop in Philipsburg, one of the neatest towns anywhere in the West. Another 30 minutes or so up MT 1 brings you to I-90 around 30 miles east of Missoula.

For the somewhat more adventurous, turning west at Philipsburg on MT 38 brings you over Skalkaho Pass in the Ruby Range and down to Hamilton in the Bitterroot Valley where you'd connect with US 93 south of Missoula.

For a really adventurous trip, turn west at Philipsburg then north at Rock Creek, and follow Rock Creek road the entire 50 miles of gravel, directly alongside the creek/river, back to I-90 near Clinton, MT, about 20 miles east of Missoula.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

3. Default Thanks Foy

I'm sorry, I actually meant Montana 83 not US 83. Your suggestions sound intriguing.

To approach Glacier from the West, I was considering heading out of Jackson WY connecting with Montana 47, 87 and US 287 and then connecting with Montana 83 further North using some combination of local, interstate and state highways.. Any thoughts if the US 2 route eastbound through Glacier is worth trying to configure?

Default OK, I see what you're thinking now

MT 83 passes Seeley Lake and follows the valley between the Mission Range on the west with the Bob Marshall Wilderness (lovingly known as "The Bob" among locals) on the east. It's a part of MT I have yet to see in person, but it's "on the list". I would think heading west on US 12 at Helena, thence MT 141 to MT 200 through Ovando, thence to MT 83 would be a very cool route to travel.

I have not traveled the US 2 route along the bottom border of Glacier NP, but prior study shows the BNSF railroad and US 2 parallel one another pretty much all the way from West Glacier to East Glacier. I have traveled from East Glacier to Browning (where the Museum of the Plains Indian is a worthwhile, if somber, stop), and a good friend has traversed the balance of "the High Line" crossing MT on US 2 and reported great enjoyment. Your US 87/MT 200/MT200S route to Glendive, however, looks plenty intriguing to me, in part because it transects Garfield County and goes through Jordan, an area which achieved some dubious distinction some 20 years ago when a group of political extremists holed up on a ranch near Jordan and the austere landscape made national news for a few weeks.