1. Default Planning a road trip to Arizona/Colorado/Utah

I'm planning to take a road trip with the family (wife +2 girls, ages 8 and 7) through Arizona, Colorado (Rockies), possibly Utah, possibly New Mexico (Santa Fe) the 1st two weeks of July. Our starting point is San Jose, CA. We definitely want to hit up the Grand Canyon and Sedona...beyond that it's up in the air.

I'm just wondering about a couple of things:

1. We'll be staying in motels/cabins/B&B's. Should we make reservations for GC area (we could stay in Flagstaff) and Sedona? We'll probably be "winging" it most of the way with regards to accomodations...

2. Weather: How HOT it might be? Is it something we should consider? We want to do some outdoor activities (light hiking, biking, etc.), but don't want it to be miserable for the young ones....

Sorry, not a lot of details on the trip at this point, but wanted some feedback on the above. Thanks!

South of England.

Default I would.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Popular tourist areas, like Grand canyon and other National parks, such as Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches etc in Utah, [Utah, I highly recommended] RMNP in Colorado, are all areas where lodgings in, or around the parks can get booked up quite quickly, but many people "wing it" and find lodgings but you might have to travel around a bit looking. Me, I would make certain reservations, and GC would be one of those.

Temps can get hot, especially in desert areas and although weather is unpredictable, you can find "average" conditions on many weather sites like wunderground or by visiting the pages, where you can pick up info on all the parks and climate data. Early morning and evening hikes will be the most comfortable, out of the midday sun but it is cooler at elevation.

Have a look around the forums and RTA pages [tool bars near top of page] where you will find a wealth of info and routes.

Happy planning !