Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Route Across NYC to Queens

I'm looking at going to see a game at Citi Field in a few weeks and thought someone who travels more regularly through New York would know the fastest and/or easiest way to get from Upstate NY (Utica area) down to Flushing. The game would be about noon on Sunday, so traffic shouldn't be too bad - relatively speaking of course.

Looking at the map, my initial thought would be to take the Thruway to I-84 at Newburgh, then go south on I-684 and the Hutchinson River Parkway/Whitestone Bridge.

Google and Mapquest recommend going all the way down to the GW Bridge, down the Harlem River Pkwy, across the RFK Bridge to I-287.

Anyone with more first hand experience driving through NYC have a recommendation on which way you'd take?

What are you going to be driving? That makes a difference - there are a lot of roads in the area where trucks are not allowed.

Default Only in the Negative

It has been a few years since I commuted through NYC in any regular, albeit infrequent, manner. But the worst of the worst in my opinion is that stretch of I-95 between the George Washington Bridge and the junction of I-95/I-278/I-678/I-295 at Ferry Point. Multiple lanes, frequent exits with little warning, merges with large speed differentials, etc. On the other hand, I had few real difficulties with other freeways in the area with a few caveats such as the twisting nature of the northern stretches of Hutchinson River Parkway and the like. The key, I think, is to avoid I-95 and use as few different roads as possible, thus minimizing having to make connections. So my suggestion would be to cross the Hudson at the Tappan Zee Bridge well north of the city and continue south on I-87 to the Cross County Parkway to Hutchinson River Parkway (relatively straight through the Bronx) which becomes I-678 to Flushing Meadows. And good luck!

AZBuck

Thing is, if he is driving a truck over 7000# GVW and/or is towing a trailer, he can't use any of the parkways. I agree, that stretch of I-95 is the Cross Bronx Expressway and it's absolutely miserable.

If he can legally use it, I like his idea of 84/684 to the Hutch. If not, I'd take 84/684 to 287 and take that over to 95 to the Whitestone. The toll on 84 across the Hudson is considerably less than either the Tappan Zee or the GWB.

I'll be in a small SUV, no trailer, so I won't have to worry about Truck restrictions.

Buck, your thoughts on I-95 are about what I figured (which is why I thought Google's suggestion was so odd) I've driven into NYC and/or through it a few times before but usually I've stayed to the north on the Tappan Zee (or up to I-84) when I'm just trying to get around the city. My last trip there, I did decide to drive right into Manhattan, in via GW Bridge, out via Lincoln Tunnel and was actually surprised at how easy it was to get around compared to a few other major cities, but I've never had a reason to travel onto Queens/Long Island/Staten Island area before.

This trip is still pretty tentative and it won't happen for a few weeks. If it happens, I'll probably end up crossing up at Newburgh on the way there, but heading back when I don't have any time pressures I'll probably try a route that might end up being a little more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Google and Mapquest recommend going all the way down to the GW Bridge, down the Harlem River Pkwy, across the RFK Bridge to I-287.
    I've lived in NYC for 9 years, but don't own a car (at the moment), so take my advice with a grain of salt. Anyway, the google/mapquest route sounds fine to me. I'd assume you'd come in on the Palisades Parkway. Getting from the GWB to the Harlem River Drive is not that big of a deal - I've done that multiple times and usually without much hassle.

I have driven on the Hutchinson, but not that much that I can really compare the two. There are probably multiple other routes you could choose, involving the Sprain Brook Parkway, Saw Mill Parkway, Henry Hudson, Major Deegan, etc.

One thing I'd recommend is that you have a back-up route planned so that you can detour if your route of choice looks to have a lot of traffic. Tune into 1010 AM for "traffic on the 1s" as soon as you are within the area.

What's the RFK? Triboro?

If so, that sounds OK - the Palisades Parkway is a nice drive and the Harlem River Drive/FDR isn't too bad. I think you mean 278, not 287 - the Grand Central Parkway coming off the Triboro, that takes you right past LGA. Whatever you do, don't stay on 278 to the BQE!

I think that would definitely be better than trying to take the Tappan Zee and the Major Deegan - I've seen how slow that can get coming into the city.

Default the oddity

I'd assume you'd come in on the Palisades Parkway.
    You'd think that wouldn't you? That is the road I used the last time I drove down and crossed GW, but that's not what google recommends. They actually suggest taking NJ-17 to NJ-4, which looks like surface streets to me. I thought it was even more odd that both Google and Mapquest recommended that routing.

I'm sure I'll use the traffic reports from XM during the drive, the downside is when you aren't familiar with all of the roads, it can be difficult to always know what places/nicknames they are talking about as they zip through them. My Garmin GPS has a traffic feature, which I'm hoping will be some help if there is major traffic. Unfortuantly, to this point its been very good at warning me about traffic - but only after I've been sitting there for a few minutes.

17 and 4 are your typical NJ suburban arteries - 40 to 50 mph, some interchanges, some traffic lights, jughandles, and Jersey center barriers. They are kinda like taking US-41 instead of 294 between the WI line to the Edens. Google is simply plotting the shortest route using numbered roads. Disregard and take the Thruway to the Palisades if you want to go via the GWB.

10. Default

Hi!

I live on LI and drive around that area frequently.

The game would be about noon on Sunday, so traffic shouldn't be too bad
    ha don't worry, they'll be PLENTY of traffic for a Sunday Mets game.

Since the stadium is in Queens, your best bet is to avoid the city (Manhattan) altogether. That means cross on to Long Island (yes, Queens is on Long Island geographically, not politically) at the Throgs Neck or Whitestone bridge (there is currently construction on the Throgs Neck, so the Whitestone is a better choice as of 6/6/2010) from westchester and the Bronx and head West to citi field.

This route was given here:

to cross the Hudson at the Tappan Zee Bridge well north of the city and continue south on I-87 to the Cross County Parkway to Hutchinson River Parkway (relatively straight through the Bronx) which becomes I-678 to Flushing Meadows.
    This is your best route. Listen to 880 or 1010 AM to check the crossings when you're getting close. If there is a jam on this route you can make a last min change, but this is likely the quickest route.

-Moose